xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Major Earthquake Shocks Indonesia

On the 11th of April,2012, an earthquake of high magnitude struck the western province of Aceh,which is located at the northern part of Sumatra. Initially the intensity was thought to be 8.9 on the Richter Scale,later it was calculated to 8.6 on the Richter Scale. It occurred due to a strike-slip fault,no huge sea waves were generated towards the stretch of land on the coast though.The time is reportedly around 2:38 local time.

As an aftershock, the region got tremulous once again,with another earthquake with the magnitude of 8.2 on the Richter Scale and that happened after two hours of the first tremor. Soon after the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a Tsunami warning mainly on the eastern coast, by the evening the warning was lifted, as the water from the sea was found to rush sideways and not vertically,so the threat seemed to reduce.

Several other nations felt the earthquake, among them are Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore,Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. In India also a Tsunami warning was issued as some cities were witnesses to the tremors. Kolkata, Chennai, Patna, parts of Assam, Bhubaneshwar, Bangalore are some these cities. In one of the eastern coastal areas of India, Andaman and Nicobar islands was also issued Tsunami warning.

As a matter of fact, no case of casualties or serious injuries have been reported, but there was a lot of confusion among the people when the alert went off. The residents of Indonesia, particularly of Sumatra, were rushing across to get to a safer place which in turn blocked the traffic. No matter the disaster is a result of nature's fury or human error, the common people suffer invariably.

But for the mammoth disaster of tsunami was averted and people didn't lose lives, let us be thankful to God or Nature( I consider them the same but if you believe in any one, then take the effort of thanking)

It is absolutly amazing that there were no casualites with an earthquake of that magnatude! I feel bad for people that live in earthquake prone areas. I'm not too far from one big fault line myself, the New madrid fault line, but we never feel any here. We just have to deal with tornados. But at least if you know a tornado is coming, you go hide in the root cellar, unlike an earthquake, where there is simply no place to hide.

I'm suprised no waves were generated. I once watched a video on YouTube, where some guy is filming these children playing on the beach in Indonesia, and then a tsunami comes, and he just turns around to head for safety, and keeps children. The people in the comments then said, you jerk, why are you filming when you should be helping the children? What do you think, was that a bad thing to do? I personally think someone does need to film these things for posterity: it's not that easy helping people when water is swelling all around you...