xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darko100

[Tutorial] Create A Snow Animation

Did you know that you can make animations in Photoshop? I'm going to help you to create a GIF/AVI snow animation. [ONLY FOR CS4 or more]1.Let's start by creating a new document File->New , any dimensions you want , not too small , but not too big because it might take a lot of time to render. 600x600 is fine. Now we need to find a stock image where we will put the snow in. http://www.soultravelmultimedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Nature-Wallpaper-1-PT2.jpg this one is fine.2.Download the stock image , and drag it to your document.3. For best results we will adjust the colors. Press CTRL+U and change Saturation to -59. Now go to Image->Adjusments->Brightness/Contrast and set Brightness:-64 and Contrast 41. If you want to put enphasis on the sky , go to Image->Adjustments->Color Balance and select Highlights , then: Cyan -40 , Magenta -6 Yellow +49.4. We've got a winter-like mood. Now let's focus on the snow. Create a new Layer. Press CTRL+F5 choose Use:Black and press OK.5. Go to Filter->Noise->Add Noise and choose 70% as amount,select Guassian and check Monochromatic.6. Go to Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur and select 1,5 as a pixel value.7. To make the lightning , go to Image->Adjustments -> Levels and in the window you will see three input level textboxes. Let the first one be 90 , second 1 , third 120.8. To make the snow more scratchy we will add this filter: Filter->Noise->Dust and Scratches. Choose radius 1 and threshold 0.9. Now if you see where your layer is , select it , and press on the place where it says Normal. That's the blending mode. Navigate and select Screen as a blending mode.10. To open the animation tool navigate to Window->Animation and click where it says "1 sec". Change it 0,1. Now create a new frame.11.Move the snow using snow tool.12. Now select both frames by holding Shift. Near the button for creating a new frame , there is a button with 4 small circles one next to each other. It's the Tween button. Click it, choose 20 as frames to add and click OK.13. Press play and enjoy your animation. You can also export it.©darko100

Thank you for the tutorial..This has been most helpful and I'll be coming back when I install the Photoshop.I have a question about exporting. Which format do you export to? Can you export to SWF?