xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Enjoyed A Movie After A Long Time

I have been brought up like someone who has been fed on movies, to my utmost pleasure, the person I am married to is from the same species, so there is no reason that I shouldn't be happy. Oh yes! there is one, we fail to manage time to go for a movie.

However, we do go beyond our capacities, to catch a few flicks at least twice a month and with good films lined up, we exceed that quota. Though we enjoy watching any movie, weren't satisfied with most of the movies produced lately. We do watch movies from all over the world, but are more into Indian movies(Bollywood mainly).

In the beginning of March, a movie called "Kahani" was released. To be honest I wasn't too keen to spend my Sunday for it, but my husband insisted and I had to agree. The movie was placed with its background in Kolkata(Calcutta), probably being from the Bengali community, that was a point of weakness. It is directed by a sensible guy named Sujoy Ghosh and had a lot of seasoned Bengali actors. The protagonist of the film is played by Vidya Balan, a powerhouse of talent.

The plot revolves around a pregnant woman,Vidya, who travels all the way from London to Calcutta in search of her husband who had gone missing. She puts up at a cheap hotel and with the help of cop(who ultimately develops a soft corner for her),begins the mission. As a matter of surprise for her, wherever she lands up to know about her husband, no one has ever known or heard about him. All the references she carried, most of them told to her by her husband when they were together, don't seem to verify anything positive. Being in such a mess, the only option she's left with is to believe that her husband was an imposter or didn't exist at all.Moreover, the first search leads to another and brings into limelight a national issue as severe as terrorism, with the hunt for an upholder of the evil, who incredibly resembles Vidya's husband.

A lot of "collateral damage" as termed in the movie takes place,with a lot of people being shot at and killed. In the second half a dark mystery starts to unfold and in the last half an hour it is another "Kahani" altogether. The end makes you sit upright once again as if you are going to watch a new movie.

The background set is modified, I mean the City of Joy turns into mystery's den and is convincingly made to look that way.The direction is worth rewarding. All other technical departments are equally fabulous. There is a bit of experimentation with the music with Amitabh Bachchan rendering his voice to a well known Rabindra Sangeet piece.

Now, if you talk about the factor which makes it a must see is Vidya Balan. She is the real star of the film and her peformance deserves a thundering applause. So, for the people who admire her and for the admirers of good movies, it is indeed a must watch---to have an experience which doesn't let you blink :rolleyes: