xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Does The System Of Education Serve The Real Purpose?

As I have been associated with the process of education for a long time, I have been lucky enough to witness varied experiences. The system of education that exists in the northeastern part of India, is a pretty good one. The schools which are run by the missionaries, have a lot of discipline and values in them. There, the profession of teaching is considered one of the well-paid profession.While working as a teacher myself, I found out that the course material prescribed, was quite different from what we had studied. It was now a part of the regular curriculum to have subjects like physical education or arts and crafts and many more which were actually training the child for receiving future benefit . They have to appear for tests,so take it seriously, also the inherent interest of the child could be judged in this process.Though the upcoming generations have much to support their material life, they probably need to be taught in respect of ethics and culture, can't really blame them as we,ourselves remain too busy to teach them these parts. My father-in-law has been running a school himself for many years. Not very long ago, a teacher joined the school as a mathematics teacher, he was in another city associated with a school set up by a large corporate group. The students there come from handsomely rich backgrounds.So, this teacher once caught a student indulging in some wrong activity, when reported to the authorities,they said that they treated students as their clients and could not offend them, but it was easier for them to find another equally good teacher,he got their point and as a matter of prestige, forwarded his resignation. What values would be inculcated in the students of such schools is crystal clear, though in my father-in-law's school, this factor is well taken care of. However not letting the children know about these basic aspects, would endanger the future of the whole country.Strong efforts should be made to create a balance in what the child should be taught keeping in mind the requirement of the day and the healthy progression of the society making the children grow as good human beings, only will the purpose of education be solved.