xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Modern Medical Advances

The world of medicine has certainly come a long way in just a few years. Take my recent gall bladder surgery. Instead of gutting me like a fish, they were able to make 5 small incisions, all pretty much under 1 inch long and get that troublesome body part gone. There is one thing though that I certainly wish they could figure out a way to avoid. Pyror to surgery, they still insist on starving and dehydrating a person almost to the limits of one's endurance. I had not been able to eat the day I got sick, I did eat one slice of left over pizza, but I barffed that up in the doctors office right before my trip to the hospital, so I was really quite empty. But they wouldn't let me have a drink of water no way shape fashion or form. I begged long enough and they finally gave me some ice chips to suck on. (great with my bad cold sensitive teeth, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick) Probably just as well, because if they wouldn't have I was ready to drink out of the sink in the hospital room anyway. I should point out, I am very big into consuming liquids. I drink at least one gallon of tea each day, and often more than that if it is a really hot summer day, plus numerous glasses of water also. So no liquid at all for a whole day really had me running on empty. Now I know they claim you can vomit when going under anesthesia, and this is supposed to be the reason, and I do know that it does happen, I've seen it happen numerous time when having puppies fixed for hernia repairs or what have you. But why can't they come up with some way around this problem? Surely when people end up in the ER for emergency surgery they don't wait a day letting them starve before helping them. In honesty, the stopping of my digestive track was worse than the surgery it'self. When you add to the fact that the antibiotics they gave me probably also killed off the digestive bacteria in my system, and then my severe dehydration and starvation on top of everything else, getting it going again was severe agony. Squimish people, stop reading here. After an hour and a half on the toilet 2 nights after surgery and let me tell you I thought I was going to die after all. The pain was awful. I was pretty sure my guts were going to rupture. Ended up sending the hubby out in the middle of the night to the local Walmart for an enema. I'll not get any more graffic that that, but just let it suffice to say I hope I never have to go threw that again!