xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

And Yet Another Yummy One.

People who know me will by now probably have got used to the fact that I like posting a recipe now and then.

I will now share with you a delicious Flemish recipe, simple to make, but ever so delicious.

The reason why I did not post the name of the meal in the subject is because it needs a few words to explain it.

The dish is called Gentse Waterzooi. There is no translation for the word "waterzooi", so, translated in English, the dish would be called Ghent Style Waterzooi.

(Ghent being a city in Flanders).

It is a kind of broth, based on chicken, or you could also class it as a velouté.(the French term for a creamy soup, somewhat thicker than a normal soup).

Anyway, here we go:

Ingredients:

(Serves about four).

A whole medium-sized chicken or chicken pieces (thighs and legs).

30 grammes (1 ounce) of butter.

30 grammes (1 ounce) of plain flour.

500 cl. (1 pint) of milk.

500 cl. (1 pint) of chicken stock (made from your chicken).

4 carrots.

4 leeks

1 stick of celery.

chopped parsley.

Method:

Boil the chicken until really tender.

Cut your vegetables into a julienne (thin strips) and boil in water in a separate pan.

When the chicken is really tender, remove from the pan, keep your stock, and let the chicken cool so you can take the skin off.

(If you are using a whole chicken, cut it into pieces).

Melt the butter in a pan and then add the flour bit by bit, stir to avoid lumps, when all the flour has been added, let the mix boil dry a little bit to get the flour taste out of it.

Pour your milk on the mix bit by bit, raise the temperature and keep stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.

When thickened (not too thick), pour in your stock and stir thoroughly.

Remove the vegetables from the water and add to the sauce.

Add the chicken pieces.

Let simmer for another 15 - 20 minutes.

Serve by putting some chicken in a bowl, adding the liquid and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Goes well with bread.