Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Would The Ram Be Causing This Problem?

I have a Packard Bell PC with the following specs:

Intel Dual Core processor 2800 Mhz.

2 Gb of RAM

1 TB hard drive

Running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

I was given 4Gb of RAM (on one stick) for Christmas.

Since the system indicated my PC can take a maximum of 8 Gb of RAM, I took out one of the 1 Gb sticks which were present in my PC and put the 4Gb stick in. (Which should then leave me with 5 Gb of RAM altogether).

I must say things were slightly against me, leads in my way inside the PC, the cat annoying me while I was putting the RAM in, however, when I switched the PC on it just gave me a continuous beep (usually a sign of a RAM problem or ram not being slotted in properly) bt what worries me is that I smelled something burning.

Since I experienced that smell, I pulled out the plug immediately and I then started taking my time.

I put the leads nicely out of the way and put in the RAM properly, and as a security/testing measure, I just put back the old RAM, ie. the two 1 Gb sticks.

When i switched the PC on again, all I get is the long continuous beep, no smell of burning, but nothing more, the PC just will not start up.

Does anybody recognise that kind of problem?

Would it be a case of having to insert the RAM properly, or cleaning up the gold connectors on the module or would there be something more serious going on (that burning smell is still playing on my mind).

If anyone recognises the symptoms, please get in touch, as I would obviously like to bring my PC back to life (including the increased EAM) without (hopefully) having to fork out a hefty repair bill.

So, please, if anyone can advise me further, let me know what my options are.

Your input will be very much appreciated.