xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Looking For Experienced Mysql Database Administrator Game Databases

Hey all, figured this is where I should post this. More or less I run gaming sites (fansites) for MMORPG's and have been getting a lot of positive comments. I've decided to take my project(s) a step further and make game databases (items, quests, etc.). For a reference of what I'm talking about, refer to:

Magelo.com

rift.zam.com (no www)

These seem like they are pretty basic to anyone with database knowledge, but I have ideas on how to spice them up as well, making them more beneficial and therefore increasing their popularity.

As for data, they usually come from the game itself (through game files), XML files (in the case of Rift these are supplied by the developers on a regular basis) and manual input. I'd be willing to help out wherever I can, but I don't know PHP and thus wouldn't know where to start with databasing -- I could, however, give listing of columns or something like that, such as with stats and whatnot for items.

Regarding what I'm offering up, I see it working in a few different ways, and am more than willing to work something out with someone I believe is up to the task:

I could pay for services (either on a per-game or even per-feature basis)

We could work out some type of monetization method and work out a sharing procedure like that

We can cycle all earnings back into the project for other things (server upgrade for new features, etc.) to enhance the site/project even more

The database will only be one part of the site. The sites are fansites, so they include up-to-date news, previews/reviews of game changes, etc. for each respective game as well.

As for the technology we'd employ, I was looking along the lines of MySQL, although I wouldn't be against MSSQL either, or another technology -- I'd leave that one up to the developer.

So this is just a basic overview of what I'm looking for. If there are any questions or anyone is interested in talking to me about the project further, please do. I'm also looking for people interested in helping take on the news/walkthrough/videos/podcasts/etc. aspects of the game sites as well, but the database is a main priority right now as I can handle news and whatnot (for the record, the games in question as of right now are TERA, Guild Wars II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Rift, though there will be more in the future and I'm always up for ideas).

Just toss me a PM with a bit about yourself, your knowledge, what you'd be looking for out of helping out and what all you'd be willing to help out with and we'll go from there.

Thanks guys!

(Edit: you can also email me directly: rpgsearcherz@gmail.com)

Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)