xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joncat

Catflu need help

Hi there this might be a strange one but my cat has started sneezing ans her eyes are watering what should i do as i cant really afford the vets if i can help it as i am on benefits, any suggestions gratefully recievedCheersJonny

As the boards resident dog person, unfortunatly, I know very little about cats. I do know that there are a great many things thay you can use for dogs that can not be used on cats. With cats you are seriously limited with the drugs like antibiotics and things you can use. Has your cat recieved her vaccinations? If she had shots as a kitten, and any booster shots as an adult cat, she should be safe from the major disease that can kill her. She may just have a little cold, I don't know where you live but here we are having some drastic weather changes, which often set off colds in both humans and our pets.

I love cats and have been around them most of my life. You could find some natural remedies, i.e.food that provides healthy nutrients to help with mild colds. In my opinion you may be overreacting.It could be something minor that will blow over shortly. Give your kitty a day or two and see if the conditiongets better on its own. If it worsens alarmingly you may want to consider taking your pet to the humane society orsome other organization that will offer reduced or free services to help cure your pets illness.

If it worsens alarmingly you may want to consider taking your pet to the humane society orsome other organization that will offer reduced or free services to help cure your pets illness.

Just a word of caution here. In far too many cases, a humane society will NOT help an owner with an ill pet. They might euthanize the pet for you, but in some cases they will take the pet away from you, treat it's illness, and give the pet away to someone else, since they believe that since you cannot afford vet care for your pet you are not a fit pet owner. In extreme cases, they might even file criminal animal abuse charges on you, especially if you refuse to give them your pet.

OK, Jonny,

first of all, I am sorry to hear about your beloved pet.

However, it might help if you could give a few more details:

Are the symptoms still there?

Has there been any change (for the worse or the better)?

Is the watering from the eye clear?

Is there any swelling around the eye or is it shut to some extent?

When sneezing, is a watery mist produced, or is there a discharge?

Is there any swelling of the nose?

Has the cat lost interest in food (lost appetite)?

Apart from the symptoms, does your cat appear unwell (lethargic, meowing uncontrollably, appearing to be in pain)?

Is there any sign of fever?

I am asking those questions because there are (obviously) a number of possibilities:

If the symptoms have stopped, it might have been something innocent (a small allergy or irritation), which leads me to another question: does anyone smoke in your house?

However, it is best you monitor your cat's general well-being and look out for any re-occurrence or worsening of the symptoms.

If the symptoms are still there, and even get worse, eg.

like the discharges mentioned above (green or yellow substance),

ulcers in the mouth and/or on the tongue,

signs of gingivitis (gum disease),

if your cat seems to be uninterested in the things that usually interest him/her

Your cat coughs and/or drools (which can sometimes cover most of the animal's fur in saliva, and the coughing may lead to retching).

If any of the above is the case, you might have a problem.

Also, has your cat had all her injections (vaccinations)?

Let me give you the symptoms of both diseases your cat could be suffering from if any or more than one of the above are true (but swift action can get her back on her feet fairly quickly):

Feline HerpesVirus (FHV-1):

Swollen eyes often accompanied by a discharge. Sometimes this can lead to the development of corneal ulcers.

Sneezing and inflammation of the lining is of the nose (rhinitis). Discharge from the nose is initially clear but becomes green and thick as cat flu develops. Your cat's sense of smell may deteriorate significantly, thereby leading to a lack of interest in food.

Your cat will clearly appear unwell and may develop a fever. A loss of appetite is very likely and dehydration becomes a real risk.

Feline Calicivirus (FVC):

Mouth ulcers are a very common symptom of feline calicivirus and this ultimately triggers off drooling and loss of appetite.

Ulcers can affect various parts of your cat including the tongue, palate, mouth, tip of the nose and the lips. One particular strain of FVC is even known to lead to ulcers in a cat's paws.

Your cat's nose and eyes are likely to be runny and gingivitis may affect the gums. A fever may also develop and your cat may start to limp as a result of pain in the joints.

As I said, both viral infections above are perfectly treatable, but swift action is in order.

Also, about the vet bill problem and being on benefits, you have my sympathy 100%, I don't know what country you live in, but here in the UK, it is really pathetic.

People would say you are breaking the law if you do not give your pet adequate medical attention, yet they do not give you a chance to.

If you do live in the UK, I might be able to give you a few telephone numbers where you could get assistance with your vet bills, however, when I do give them to you, do not get your hopes up, as some places may tell you they no longer receive any funding, or other reasons not to help you.

However, let me know, and I will still give you all the information I can.

In the mean time, I hope your moggy came through by herself, so you will not have to go through all that, and I wish you the very best with the poor animal.

Also, try to put a little bit of money away every week (if you can) to save up for inoculations or a pet insurance (some of which are quite affordable).

Good luck, and keep me posted.