xisto Community
nanna

Over Grown

I was wondering if anyone can help me here.I have a very over grown Bramble bush in my garden and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can get rid of it.Its not possible to cut it down as i end up full of scratches.What ever anyone suggests it needs to be animal friendly as i have 3 dogs and 4 cats that use my garden.All helpful ideas are welcome.

Edited by nanna (see edit history)

Oh COOL! Somebody posting in gardening besides me!!!I've seen a many a time I wish I had a flame thrower, and for just the reason you mentioned, getting rid of obnoxious briar bushes and weeds. But since most garden supply stores don't carry such handy dandy tools, you'll have to do something a bit more complicated and tedious. You'll need a set of the long handled prunning shears. And it's helpful to have a good pair of heave duty leather gloves. You also need something to put the trimmings in as you cut them off, leaving thorny branches laying around is not a good idea, it takes forever for them to rot down and you can get stickers in you a year or two later if you don't pick up all the branches. Just start trimming off the bush at the outer edges where you can reach to without getting poked. You just have to slowly work your way in and eventually you can get it all cut off. Make sure when the branches are out of the way that you do enough damage to the root base it doesn't grow back. Depending on the type of bush, you may actually have to dig it completely out to kill it.

Hi Nanna,i'm not sure if bramble is the same sort of thing as black berry bush that we have here in OZ but i find the best way to deal with it is to burn it. once its burned back you can get in and clean out all the bits you don't want and it will sprout again next season. it also give you a change to clear away all the weeds from under the bush as well.As i said not sure if it will work with bramble..CheersJase

LOL, like I said, Flame Thrower! But seriously, a lot of bushes can come back from the root, so to be on the safe side, dig up the base of the root too after the branches are out of the way. Also, there are certain times of year when any damage even minor, to a plant will kill it. They are called "amber days, and one wack with an ax can actually kill a large tree if done during amber days. Unfortunatly, I don't know exactly when they are. It's kind of one of those Old Farmers Alminac things.

Sheepdog i just googled ember days for this month i have missed them the last day was the 24th sept 2011.The next ember days are in december 2011. I think what i am going to do is start cutting it down from the outside and work my way in till i can get to the base of it and dig it out the ground.My sister is going to help me with this.I will keep you updated to how we are getting on.