xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Hydraulic Power Steering Or Electronic Power Steering

Having recently had my car's power steering quit on my during a long drive back from the country side, I have been considering whether the type of power steering would have mattered, seeing how the belt of the hydraulic power steering system came off and I had to drive back without power steering. It wasn't impossible, but is something that would help in avoiding unexpected obstacles - pot holes, small rocks, and maybe even other errant drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.The two types of power steering that you would find in vehicles are either hydraulic power steering or electronic power steering. Hydraulic power steering systems are the only types of power steering that you would find in older automobiles and they run off the engine power. Electronic power steering systems are driven by a motor and they draw their power from the car battery. Different drivers have preferences for different kinds of power steering, with some having a preference for electronic power steering and others having a preference for hydraulic power steering. Hydraulic power steering is supposed to be smoother but not as responsive, however it is less likely to be 'off the center'. Electronic power steering has less mechanical complexity and is supposedly less prone to failure and more reliable, although we do see a high incidence of failed electrical motors in electronic power steering systems. Many newer vehicles are equipped with electronic power steering instead of hydraulic power steering, assuming that you are not in the market looking for used automobiles. Unless you drive a car with the engine located at the back or a small and light sub-compact car, you would find one of the abovementioned types of power steering systems.BTW, newer mechanics don't have much experience with hydraulic power steering systems... I overheard my mechanic ask his supervisor, "Do hydraulic power steering systems have fuses?," as he was noting down my complaint about the power steering system having conked off.

"Do hydraulic power steering systems have fuses?,"

OMG, I'd be hunting a new mechanic!!!! Real quick!
Seriously, what are they teaching kids in schools these days? We had dinner out tonight, had to go all the way to the big city to buy a stinking lawn mower even though it's only August and there's at least 2 more months of mowing to do, Walmart here in town was out and not getting any more in. There was a young girl filling out a job application at the restuarant and she had to call her mother with her cell phone to help her fill out the application!