xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Why I Am Lucky

When I was younger, I would wonder what it'd be like to be adopted by someone for some reason. Heck, I still wonder that. I have came very close to finding out, though.

A couple of days ago, I was sitting on the couch at my grandma's house. I was thinking about random things because I didn't have my DS with me to play. That's when I started to think about how lucky I am.

About three years ago, my dad had a massive heart attack. He thought he was just sick and it'd pass after a few days. A few days later, he finally decided to go to the hospital. The doctor told us that he had a heart attack. He also said that the only reason my dad was still alive is because my dad took Aspirin every morning when he got up. The doctor also said that if my dad didn't go to the hospital that day, he would have died.

One year ago this past Easter, my mom suffered a brain aneurysm.

The annual incidence of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in the U.S. exceeds 30,000 people. Ten to 15 percent of these patients will die before reaching the hospital and over 50 percent will die within the first thirty days after rupture. Of those who survive, about half suffer some permanent neurological deficit

Women are actually more likely to get a brain aneurysm than men, with a ratio of 3:2

- http://www.brainaneurysm.com/

My mom was one of the luckiest of those people. Heck, when the ambulance arrived, she didn't want to go, and the ambulance people couldn't take her if she didn't want to. My dad left for the hospital after the ambulance left -AND BEAT IT-. A few minutes after she arrived to the hospital (in London, KY), they put her in the helicopter and flew her to UK (Lexington, KY).

I was thinking, what if my dad hadn't taken Aspirin every morning or chose not to go to the hospital that day? And, what if my mom wasn't one of the lucky people who survive? Both of my parents would be dead right now. My uncle live with us, but he isn't exactly fit to take care of me and my younger sister.

It's scary to think about, but it could have very easily happened.

Edited by NNNOOOOOO (see edit history)

Yes, I would say that you are definatly lucky. And the good thing is you have realized it while you still have a chance to be with your parents and can do something about it. Maybe you should leave your DS (whatever that is, I'm assuming some sort of electronic game?) more often since it gives you a chance to use your mind for more constructive comtemplations. Your mom is super lucky too. Brain aneurysms are bad news. I had a good friend that had one, a young woman in her 30's and it ruined her. She survived, but will spend the rest of her life in a nursing home as she is just not able to take care of herself anymore. The big problem is she is still well enough to think she is ok and will be able to get out on her own, and it is making life even harder for her. She is pretty miserable.

When my mom was in the hospital, I think it was two or three more people came in for the same thing, and one died. Not only that, but my mom was driving most of the day that day. She had been home just a few minutes when hers started leaking (it didn't pop/rupture). When it happened, she had a small seizure. What if she hadn't made it home yet when it happened. She would've been driving and crashed.There was a bunch of small thing that could have caused her to die if they had been different.BTW: When I say DS, it is a game system. It's the Nintendo DS.

That's very inspiring story. We should value our life while we are alive and we should show the people around us how much we love it and don't wait until it's too late because life is really too short and we will only live once.