xisto Community
karlo

A Lot Of Php Questions please do help me

First, i'm planning to use preg_match, ereg_match, etc..

I think "preg" and "ereg" uses something like in the Apache's RewriteModule the "[0-9]" something like that... Do you know a tutorial that will easily teach me on how to do that?

Second, I'm planning to use Apache Rewrite. But I really don't know how to use. Do you know a tutorial that will easily teach me on how to do that?

Third, while openning some php scripts, I didn't get the meaning of example:

<?php$sample1->//some string here ?>
What does it mean? I didn't master the array functions of PHP. Do you know a tutorial that will easily teach me on how to do that?

Fourth, I really need to master PHP easily. Do you know a tutorial that will easily teach me on how to do that?

Fifth, I'm planning to use MySQL. But It's really difficult for a beginner like me to learn that. Do you know a tutorial that will easily teach me on how to do that?

Sixth, About offline debugging of my website, I have Apache 1.3, and the latest version of PHP. that's why before uploading my files, I know that they will work because i debug them offline. My computer will act like a server, but offline. Now, how can I use MySQL? The download size is very big! and also, I remembered, I tried it, 29 MB, and with PHPMyAdmin. Is there any other way to download a LITE version of mysql to be used for offline debugging purposes? and also, is the a stand alone program that will let me manage and edit databases?

I hope that you will be able to answer all of my questions.

Oh yeah, another one, how can I create a PHP script that will be easily readed by people?

1. preg_match and ereg_match are functions using regular expressions, regular-expressions.info is quite popular and helpful. You can get loads more help with the help of Google.

2. Haven't done anything with mod_rewrite myself, but try Google, and I think there might have been posts about it in the SEO forum here on Xisto.

3. "$sample1->//some string here " is not for arrays. Arrays are like this

$foo = array(     1 => 'one',     2 => 'two',     3 => 'many',     4 => 'lots',   );
With =>, instead of ->

-> is used when calling functions on classes/objects.

So if you have an object called $foo, and that object has a function called bar(), then you could call that function with

$foo->bar();

If all this talk of classes sounds strange to you, nevermind, if you don't want to use classes, you don't have to.

4. Practice makes perfect. ;)

Use PHP, a lot. That's the way to learn things.

5. MySQL doesn't really need learning, it's pretty straighforward once you've got it set up. You will need to know some SQL though, W3Schools has an SQL tutorial which, although I haven't gone through it, I am guessing is at least decent, because W3Schools tutorials are usually good.

6. I don't know why the MySQL download from the official site are so huge, PHPDev which has apache, php and mysql (and more) is only 10MB (get it here if you want), and XAMPP is pretty much the same (both for Windows).

You can get MySQL from the official site for significantly less than 29MB though, for Windows, the Windows Essentials download is 14MB, and I'm guessing the Linux versions should be about there as well.

1. preg_match and ereg_match are functions using regular expressions, regular-expressions.info is quite popular and helpful. You can get loads more help with the help of Google.

2. Haven't done anything with mod_rewrite myself, but try Google, and I think there might have been posts about it in the SEO forum here on Xisto.

3. "$sample1->//some string here " is not for arrays. Arrays are like this

$foo = array(     1 => 'one',     2 => 'two',     3 => 'many',     4 => 'lots',   );
With =>, instead of ->

-> is used when calling functions on classes/objects.

So if you have an object called $foo, and that object has a function called bar(), then you could call that function with

$foo->bar();

If all this talk of classes sounds strange to you, nevermind, if you don't want to use classes, you don't have to.

4. Practice makes perfect. ;)

Use PHP, a lot. That's the way to learn things.

5. MySQL doesn't really need learning, it's pretty straighforward once you've got it set up. You will need to know some SQL though, W3Schools has an SQL tutorial which, although I haven't gone through it, I am guessing is at least decent, because W3Schools tutorials are usually good.

6. I don't know why the MySQL download from the official site are so huge, PHPDev which has apache, php and mysql (and more) is only 10MB (get it here if you want), and XAMPP is pretty much the same (both for Windows).

You can get MySQL from the official site for significantly less than 29MB though, for Windows, the Windows Essentials download is 14MB, and I'm guessing the Linux versions should be about there as well.

53983[/snapback]

can you give me the link where this "lite" version of mysql is located?