xisto Community
sheepdog

Oh Am I Tired!

My mood selection is certainly on target today! I am so tired I can't see straight. BUT!! My flower bed is finally planted! Took me two days, but I got it done. And of course, I never even get a break, the day I started trying to plant it my order finally came in from Burgess with all the trees I ordered, so now I have to keep plugging and get all them planted. I ordered the stuff over a month ago, wish they hadn't waited so long to send it. And here I thought I could get back to posting here since kidding season is over. The palm of my poor left hand is just about raw from butt scooting across the edge of the bed, got too tired to get up and down to move from plant to plant so just started scooting along. That's how it goes when you get old and "chubby." And before you go to thinking I'm a whimp or weakling, I should tell you my flower bed is 196 feet long, so that's a lot of scooting. And since last year my seed crop was really dismal, I only got 6 jars of seed back after planting 17 jars. So this year I put my canna's back in the flower bed on the back side of it, up along the fence and mulched around them, which greatly narrowed the row up that I actually had to seed. I put the cosmos and zinnias along the middle and then went the full length of the bed on the outside edge with marrigolds. I also cut out a section in the center of the bed by putting in a large Angel Trumpet plant I keep inside during the winter months. I hope the sudden shock of getting stuck outside doesn't kill it, it was looking pretty peaked today after it was put out yesterday. Talked one of the hired men into staying a little longer yesterday and planting 3 trees, but he chickened out today, said his back was hurting, for which I did not have a lot of symathy over since I was barely even able to move myself, but anyway, hopefully the other man can get a bunch more of them in tommorow. Think we have about 14 more to plant. So, hopefully I'll get back here to post in a few more days, but things are way too hectic right now.

My mood selection is certainly on target today! I am so tired I can't see straight. BUT!! My flower bed is finally planted! Took me two days, but I got it done. And of course, I never even get a break, the day I started trying to plant it my order finally came in from Burgess with all the trees I ordered, so now I have to keep plugging and get all them planted. I ordered the stuff over a month ago, wish they hadn't waited so long to send it. And here I thought I could get back to posting here since kidding season is over. ~~~
So, hopefully I'll get back here to post in a few more days, but things are way too hectic right now.

Hey Sheepdog, I know that pain of being old and chubby, I also know how much joy that garden will bring when its in full bloom this year. you should take a few photo's of it so we can all enjoy its wonder. I hope you don't ache too much, you need to take along hot bath with epson salts to reduce the ache, add a drop or two of lavender and half a cup of olive oil to the bath to help rejuvinate your tired shell....

Hope your back soon. and in good helth on your return.

take care
Jase

Gee, I never thought about epson salt soak for the whole body, but since my whole body is aching, that isn't a bad idea! I've used the salts on parts of me in the past, ankles, wrist etc, but never all of me. Only problem is I'm not one much for soaking in hot water. Unless it is winter time, I don't like hot water. Only soaking I do is in my little pool, in nice cold water. Speaking of pools, I wish now I had cleaned mine out a few weeks ago and put the plug back in it, it would be nearly half full by now! More rain last night, geeze, we are drowning around here!

Hey Sheepdog,My partner is just like you doesn't like soaking either not keen on the heat from a hot bath, but a warm to cool bath will have the same effect with the salts, they help draw out some of the toxins produced durring activities (using muscles you don't usually use :P ) its incredable how a simple 10 minute soak can take away the aches of the day. But if your pool was full and working then strangely enough a soak in a pool with an above average ph level will do the same it works on osmosis effect on the body drawing out the toxins.Anyway hope your feeling better.

Well, I've tried to slow down a little the past two days, but honestly, it hasn't helped. Sitting at this dumb computer all day putting ads on line and anwsering emails hurts my back just about as bad as if I had done some real work. Guess I just can't win. It's been cold and rainy today, I sure wish the weather would settle down so I can fill up the old pool and it be warm enough to enjoy it. This has been one weird spring. Never saw so much rain!

take it easy sheep D- i think your body is trying to talk to you and tell you something. you know health is #1. if you don't have that, you don't have anything. you need to learn to relax and create a balanced work/relaxation lifestyle. summer is coming up so i know it's the busy season for you so it's not going to get any easier or better for ya. really.....please take care

Well, I'm back again, after a brief absense of a few weeks. Nothing in particular keeping me away, just life in general. The flowers are growing, now I'm busy trying to get them all weeded. I also set the incubater full of eggs a few weeks ago. I had been meaning to look at my calendar to see when I was supposed to stop turning them, but hadn't gotten to it, it didn't seem like it had been all that long, but yesterday morning when I started to turn them I saw that one egg had pipped. Your supposed to stop turning them on the 18th day to let the chicks inside orient themselves to make their great escape from the shell. So I quickly put the one's back I had turned and closed it back up. This morning I have 12 chicks out now, and quite a few more pipped. Still, not many from 90 eggs. I have pretty much given up the hopes of having a vegetable garden. Guess we'll just have to eat chicken. :rolleyes:I still don't have my pool fixed. Dang, it's getting on my nerves too. Found a small hole in it, and waiting to get some help to patch it. Hopefully I won't have to wait till labor day! But the hole is near the bottom and I can't be on the inside and the outside at the same time to press down the patch.

love those hatchings. when i moved to missouri, i went to the state fair in sedalia. it was cool because they put eggs that are almost ready to hatch in the front of one of the overheads and also a section of new borns. it was really cool to see the eggs move and see beaks popping out of them. it reminded me of my kindergarten teacher who kept her hen outside our classroom every day and we got to see first hand how a hen lays eggs to the moment the chicks hatch. this was in los angeles county mind you. not a good ol' boy state. it's really fun when i can experience something new that triggers old memories.i don't really like reading about eating chicken in the next paragraph hahaha but i guess that's what we do....

i don't really like reading about eating chicken in the next paragraph hahaha but i guess that's what we do....

Sorry about that. :ph34r:
That's just carnivoris me talking.
I've been taking baby chicks out every few hours all day. I like to wait until they get dry to move them to another little chicken box. As of tonight, I'm up to 51 baby chicks. May have a few more by morning. But still, that's over a 50% hatch rate, so I'm not complaining. It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be. You are supposed to set only really clean eggs. You can't wash hatching eggs, they have a coating on them that protects the baby chicks that if you wash it off the eggs will get contaminated and the chicks will die in the shells. Anyway, I tried to keep my nest boxes well bedded in clean hay while I was saving hatching eggs, but the chickens just refused to cooperate. Several days I changed the bedding twice a day, and my eggs still got pretty icky. But it looks like it worked out pretty well even so.

Oh, and some good news, I finally got my grubby hands on a pair of Coo Coo Morran chickens,(I am probably not spelling that right) a hen and a rooster. They are a rare french breed, that look a lot like the old domineckers, black and white speckled. They lay a super dark almost chocolate brown egg. Really pretty eggs. Hopefully I can hatch out a few of them this summer.