xisto Community
mrdee

Making Something Stand Out Let an announcement be seen constantly

And, web_designer,as I promised in the previous post, attached is a picture of the console of the carillon at the bellfry in Ghent.This console is linked to a set of bells, which sound when the appropriate key on the console is hit.post-46682-090176200 1306001316_thumb.jpg

thanks mrdee i will make sure to check everything you mentioned and give you my honest opinion. about how to center a div, simply use margins in css file. in general you can center any div by using the auto margins like this:

#static_post {   width:900px;   border:1px solid #000000;   margin: 0px auto 0px auto;   padding:0;}

this will give you a 0 margin to the top and bottom and will center the left and right.

or you can set margins yourself by giving them a certain pixels if it was a div inside another one. for example, if your div "static_post" which its width is "900px" is inside a bigger div like container, which its width is "1000px". then you can simply add this code:

#static_post {   width:900px;   border:1px solid #000000;   margin-left:50px;   padding:0;}

those both css codes use to center a div without centering the text inside it, try them and if they didn't work just tell me. good luck.
Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

Thank you so much, web_designer,

you have been a real source of information to me.
I might as well go to the bitter end then:

How would i go about it hen (I don't know whether you think it would be beneficial or not) to do away with tables altogether with my news page (you have seen the layout, on the left the bit for the menu, a flag and a clock, and on some pages a media player, and then on the right the separate tables for every news article).

Do you think a <div></div> solution would be better than the current layout, and how would i have to do that?
Also, would i have to start a different <div></div> for every news article or would I have to use just one div for the whole page and separate he articles by a line or something?

Sorry if some of my questions sound a bit idiotic to you, I am nevertheless very grateful for all your advice.

Shukran.

By the way, here is an attempt at achieving what I asked for, but I just cannot get the right hand bit (with a red border to make it clearer) to go nicely next to the left hand one (with the black border) and being nicely vertically aligned at the top.

I think (and hope) I have just forgotten a tiny detail.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en">  <head>    <meta charset="utf-8">    <meta name="generator" content="CoffeeCup HTML Editor (http://www.coffeecup.com/)">    <meta name="created" content="Thu, 26 May 2011 12:01:34 GMT">    <meta name="description" content="">    <meta name="keywords" content="">    <title></title>    <style>#links_menu {   width:100px;   border:1px solid #000000;}#main_body {width:800px;border:1px solid #FF0000; }</style>    <!--[if IE]>    <script src="http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>    <![endif]-->  </head>  <body><div id="links_menu">One thingAnother thingAnd more</div><div id="main_body">Wish I could get this on the right, nicely next to the left one.</div>  </body></html>

BTW, "links" has nothing to dowith hyperlinks or anything, "links" is just the Dutch word for "left", so, "links_menu" means "left_menu" (just forgot to translate all the code.
Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

Just to announce that (thanks to the motivation and encouragemant I get here) I have now completely re-worked my slideshow with sights from Flanders, accompanied by beautiful music by Johann Sebastian Bach, which I think fits the slideshow perfectly, even if I say so myself.

You can get to the slideshow by either selecting "Flemish pictures" from the menu, or by following this linkto get there directly.

I made the new slideshow with today's "Giveaway of the day" program , and I feel quite satisfied with it.