xisto Community
Angie613

Best Camera For My Taste

Hi. I am a bit nonsavy when it comes to cameras. I have been researching so much that all these initials and numbers are making me crosseyed. I need your help. I am in search of a camera that is fast to take pictures (of my 2 yr old), fast continuous pictures if possible, both indoor and outdoor (I usually always have good lighting), nothing too complicated and slim in size and decent zoom. I had a Canon Powershot SX110 IS that I hated. SLOW at taking pictures, blurry pictures, AA battery was sucked dry within a short amount of time and it was bulky in size. In what I stated that are most important to me... what camera lingo should I be looking for?I really appreciate any info. Thanks!

Hi. I am a bit nonsavy when it comes to cameras. I have been researching so much that all these initials and numbers are making me crosseyed. I need your help. I am in search of a camera that is fast to take pictures (of my 2 yr old), fast continuous pictures if possible, both indoor and outdoor (I usually always have good lighting), nothing too complicated and slim in size and decent zoom. I had a Canon Powershot SX110 IS that I hated. SLOW at taking pictures, blurry pictures, AA battery was sucked dry within a short amount of time and it was bulky in size.
In what I stated that are most important to me... what camera lingo should I be looking for?

I really appreciate any info. Thanks!

Any compact digital camera is, unfortunately, going to take a while to start up as the lens has to extend from the body. The speed at which continuous shooting can be performed is often down to the memory card you use in the camera, rather than the camera itself. Remember that larger pictures will take longer to save - so the higher the quality you shoot at, the lower continuous shooting speed you'll have. Batteries are also something you will have a problem with with any camera using AAs. If you can, find a camera that uses its own rechargeable battery - you'll find it lasts a lot longer than AAs you buy from the supermarket. Alternatively, buy higher-power batteries such as 2500mAh rechargeable AAs. This should keep the camera going longer, plus being rechargeable means you won't be paying out for new batteries all the time!

So far I have been a fan of Kodak compact cameras and Nikon for both compact and SLR cameras. I would recommend either brand, but prefer Nikon wherever possible. The Nikon L120 for example seems to do everything you want: http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/error404.page

I would also strongly recommend going to a camera shop to try the cameras out. You'll get a sense of how long they take to switch on, how hard they are to use, etc. You can still go and buy the camera somewhere else if you want. Alternatively, if you can get it cheaper online, tell the staff in the store - they are usually happy to strike a deal! :D