xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Regular Flash Crashes Who is to blame and (how) can we stop them?

For months now, I (and I am not alone) have experienced very regularly on web pages that contain multimedia the well known phenomenon:a black square with a white face in the shape of a puzzle piece on it, and on top the message: "The Flash Shockwave plug-in has stopped working".I used to think it was a bug in my browser (Firefox), but i experienced it with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer too.The most annoying thing is, it happens so regularly, practically every time you visit a site which uses some kind of Flash, the crash seems to occur.The funny thing is, this has only been happening for the last few months, it never (or much more rarely) used to happen in the past.I also posted on the various support forums of the browsers I use, but no one seems to know an appropriate answer there.I also looked on Adobe's website to see if there was some information about the problem, and, moreover, a cure, but no satisfaction there either.I am now wondering who is at fault, the browsers, or Adobe itself.Not that I am interested in laying blame on anyone, but I am just trying to find out if we can do anything against that annoying crash at all, and if so, what can we do?Is there anyone who has already found a cure for that regular crash?If so, I would love to hear about it.

Yes i faced that problem about one month ago, actually i don't know how i fixed it but i done a series of things that maybe one of them has done it, when this thing started to happen to me i was just upgraded my flash player for IE and Fire Fox to the latest version, so i thought maybe it is a bug in new version and using the filehippo website i downgraded my flash player to previous version but i found that nothing has changed. i was continue using my web browsers with this problem until my pc went too slow and i decided to do some software repairing on it, so i used a registry cleaner (which was i think CCleaner) to delete some branches that are from previous softwares which i have uninstalled and also cleaned everything related to flash player from my registry to install a complete fresh one from beginning to see if i can get rid of that screen.I forgot to say before cleaning the registry i restored my windows to a previous restore point which was for about a week ago just before i install the new version of flash player, actually this process cost me a lot because i lost one of my newly installed softwares license and i had to call them to get my license again and that was a hard process, but anyway after restoring my windows to a previous point and cleaning my registry i decided to uninstall some apps that i rarely or never used and of course i went to uninstall flash player too using their tool which was provided by adobe to uninstall it completely from your PC, now after doing all of these things i done some other things too which i don't think can be related to flash crashing problem like changing my antivirus and i uninstalled all browsers except the IE and installed them again and cleared every temporary file and i done some defragment for my partitions, and after all of these done i opened firefox and if found that nothing is wrong with my flash player anymore, i was able to watch every flash stream without any problem.Some weeks later my friend got such a problem too so i suggested him to do the same process as i did and he went for it but after that he called me and said nothing has changed. i went to his home and i found that something is different, i was able to download flv streams that the flash player wasn't able to play them but my friend wasn't able to download the either, so i thought maybe this is related to his firewall or something, we checked every thing from router to the software firewall but nothing was wrong, so i suggested him to call his internet provider too see if the problem is from their side and he called them, after a long talk they said to him that this problem is because the DNS we are using, so i changed the DNS of connection to OPEN DNS and every thing solved magically. so you can try both of these solutions too to see if you can solve your problem.

Thank you for that detailed reply.However, we should not be doing all the things you reply, both Adobe and the companies who make Internet browsers should make sure the software is adequately tested before bringing it out, and, more to the point, should make sure it works.Like I said in my post, I never used to experience this problem in the past, and lately, as soon as any of the browsers detect any multimedia, up comes the message that the Flash plugin has stopped working.I have aleady been on the forums of the various browsers, sent emails to Adobe (not even a reply there, but what sounds interesting is what you mentioned about Open DNS.Could you please post a bit more detail about this?All I can see when I go into my router setup and toolbox is Dynamic DNS.Thanks for the explanations so far.So, if you think that helped to sort the problem, please pass on a few details about what to do and how to do it.Thank you again.