xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Goat Vent

You know, there are some days I would really like to strangle ever single goat I have. Today was one of those days. About a half a dozen of the pesky critters got out again. Now mind you, I just moved them awhile back to the farm next door. When we have them here at the house they almost never escape, even when their pasture gets down to nearly nothing, they would stand here till they starve I think, but yet when we move them next door where it is a virtual goat feeding paradise, the beggers get out every few days and rampage over the neighborhood. I just can't figure out what their problem is. So, I spent the afternoon hunting their latest escape hatch, found a couple holes where they had pushed under the fence, but of course before I could fix the places, I had to get them back in. I found the renegades up along the highway side of the property, so had to run all the way back to the house and go around on the road. I had opened the gate along the county road, and I ran those dang things past that gate 3 times and they never would go back in. Once they ran across the county road into the brush and I had to get off the 4 wheeler and chase them threw all the sticker and briars to get them back out of the brush and on the road again. The third time they passed the gate I knew it was hopeless and so I went back to the house to get reinforcments. Well, that didn't help either. This time when they shot past the gate they went to the trailer house along the road, and the dang things crawled UNDER the frigging trailer and tried to hide. Poor old man had to crawl under there after them, they promptly shot out from under there, took off at a long legged run the wrong way up the county road, and then cut up threw the woods back toward the house. I had to go all the way back home, and ended up having to leave the 4 wheeler and walk them back. They finally ducked back threw one of their escape holes. So I had to run back, get more wire and concrete blocks to fix the holes, and then go back and gather up all the tools and stuff I'd dumped along with the front basket when flying a bit to fast on the 4 wheeler threw a ditch. So, for now they are back in. I'm not making any rash statements about how long it will be that they stay in, but I hope for at least 2 weeks, then we will be bringing them home for kidding season. And now it's 1:30 in the morning, and though I am so tired I can barely move, but I'm too sore from all the running to go to sleep. I have a lot going on tommorow, and this is not going to make it any easier!

hmmmm don't you have a gun or something? next time they get out, lemme know. i would like to shoot a video...

Hey now, there's an idea! Would you split the prize money we would win from America's Funniest Home Video's with a video of 2 old fat people huffing and puffing and diving through the brush trying to chase down a bunch of renagade grossly fat and pregnaunt goats? It would be pretty hysterical if you weren't the one doing the chasing.And yes, I do have a gun, but that solution is just a bit too permenent. Besides the freezer is full right now.Anyway, they have been behaving themselves now for 24 hours. I take that as a very good sign. You would think as big and pregnaunt as they are they would be laying around taking it easy. We are now just under 2 weeks to go until kidding season starts. Hoping to get to town and get a big protien tub for them, they usually like those so well I was hoping they'd hang out near it so they wouldn't go running off.