xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Iniyila

Nvidia Gt 540M

Hello everyoneI was out today and searching for a good laptop for my friend, he is a fan of computer gaming so he was insisting on power of his laptop graphic to be in high end level, so i went to a computer center to see what can i find with his requirements and budget (which was around 1500$). as i was searching shops to find how much performance can i get for that budget i saw a real amazing notebook, it was Acer Aspire 5742G with Nvidia GT 540m and it comes with a corei5 480m with 8GB ddr3 ram and 640GB h.d.d all for 900$, in that time i wasn't aware about nvidia 540m performance but i knew that nvidia 5 series will be more powerful than 4 series and so i tried to do some research using my mobile phone about nvidia 540m and i found that the performance is great and the price is just amazing for this gaming laptop.So i suggested to my friend buy this notebook and he did but after that we found something, this graphic card comes with GDDR5 and GDDR3 ram and this laptop comes with DDR3 one so when we started to compare it with GT 435m we found it was not able to beat that, in crysis game with same configuration we tested in a dell laptop with 435m and acer with 540m and both on corei5, the result showed that 435m were able to run that game 5 frames more and this was really amazing because when you hear the numbers (435 , 540) you would expect to see more performance from 540 rather than 435 but duo to lack of bandwidth of memory this thing doesn't happen. by the way price is still good and 540 is a great graphic card for playing games but if i was aware of that thing i suggest my friend to go and get a msi one with 640m graphics.So i created this topic to tell you that be aware of frequency of graphic memory, some cards come with some options like this and so the benchamrks you see in internet are mostly for that with higher frequency not the lower one, so always check the memory frequency and never repeat my fault. anyway let me say a little about this laptop too, Acer is making good laptops these days but 5742G is a laptop with many different specifications, you can find it with core2duo or corei3 or corei5 and many different rams, hdds and graphics of course, so this is why i think it is better to not buy this notebook with higher configs because now with this corei5 cpu the temperature of the body gets too high, the keyboard gets hot and sometimes if you lay your hand beside the netbook you will smell your hand burning :D, i searched google and i found that is normal so this is a little bad to burn your hand with your notebook.