xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Bucket List?

So, anybody here starting to work on or worry about their bucket list? Heck, is anybody here old enough to care about or even know what a bucket list is? For you young sprouts, your bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket. Although it wasn't really on my list of things I really really wanted to do, this week I'm doing something for the fist time. Butchering a cow. Ug. Not fun. Not even a little bit. She was a huge cow. Anything I have butchered up till now I could reach in from the outside to cut. I'd pretty much stuck to deer/goat sized critters. This dang thing I just about have to stick my hole head and shoulders inside the rib cage to cut along the back. Normally we let the cows go to the slaughter house, but this one had hurt her leg, and it is against the law for a slaughter house to take in a down cow, so we have to process her. The good news is she was given to us free. So we will have lots and lots of hamburger! She's too tough to do much else with than grind up for hamburger, but hey, at the currrent price of hamburger, I'm sure not going to complain!

wow. that is crazy about that cow. let us now how it goes and how much hamburger you got out of it. is that why you are depressed? :)i've never considered a bucket list myself. there is so many things i would love to do in life, but i also know there is just not enough time to do all of it. i enjoyed the movie though with jack nicholson and morgan freeman.

Well, it looks like at least one more day of the old slice and dice. I still have to cut off the brisket and neck meat, then the actual carcus will be done, except cutting it up for the dog bones. But that shouldn't be too hard to do, I'll just go after it with my chain saw. Now there's a scary nightmare causing visual for you. Crazy lady whacking up carcuss with chain saw....... I have the hams off now but need to cut them up into pieces that will drop down in the grinder. The hams were so huge I couldn't even lift them. Took us both to carry them inside. Hubby has lots and lots of grinding to do. I filled 27 little freezer bags last night, I'd say they are holding about 2lbs each, and that was just the meat off the front shoulders and a few other odd peices. No, I'm still depressed over Prop B. The legislators are trying to work it over, but who knows if they will succede. Or what if anything they will do to help. The whole bill is a disaster and not workable. You can't spend $50,000 to build a new building and then ever hope to pay for it with 50 dogs, and the additional expenseses of operation including heating and air conditioning will make it impossible. Besides the health problems the dogs will start having in the kind of building they want you to keep them in further reduces any vague hopes of profit. I hate animal rights wacko's. They should turn the whole bloody bunch of them into polar bear poop on the artic tundra!