xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Farming Never Takes A Holiday

So, what did you do for Valentines day?Mine was really labor intensive, and with the exception of a box full of really good chocolates, was not really very sweet, except for the satisfaction of finally getting a job done. For the past few months I have been working on getting an electric perimeter fence around the piece of property we have next door. It has been a daunting task. There are weeds, brush, grape vines, trees, washed out ditches, all the things that make wonderful goat pasture, but a terrible fence building experience. We are down to about 6 more weeks or less until kidding season begins. It is important for the goats to have a good variety of feedstuffs, and top quality nutrition in the last part of their gestation, as that is when most of the fetal growth occurs. Getting them on fresh pasture is one very good way to do this. So, early that morning I made a run of the new fence to make sure it would still be working. For those of you that know about electric fence, you know that nothing can touch it or it shorts it out. Falling tree branches, etc, can keep it from working properly. Everything was still in order, so before all the hired help went home we got the boys to help drive the goats across the yard and threw the gate behind the house into the new place. That went pretty well, a few tried to sprint off from the main herd, but for the most part they followed me with my rattling bucket of corn all the way across. Unfortunately, none of the dogs followed. They were all just laying around the barnyard taking it easy and acting like nothing was going on. I wasn?t too worried about that, I figured they?d find their way over there eventually. But things did not continue to go well. It seems that though it was working that morning, the electric fence around the kennel had quit working while we were moving the goats. We were able to isolate the section of the kennel that was messed up, but for the life of us we could not find a short in the fence anywhere. I walked and walked the entire fence out. We replaced all the cross over connections, and did everything we could figure out to do and never did find the main problem. We finally put up a different fence charger, and got it to half way work. As we were finishing up on trying to fix the fence, I started hearing dogs barking. Our neighbor has a bunch of dogs, and they actually sound just like my Komondor when they bark. I started getting really paranoid. I figured it would be just my crummy luck to have my goats unattended and without the protection of the kom?s for 2 hours and have some dang dogs get into them and kill a bunch of them. I could tell by where the sound was coming from if it was the neighbors dogs they weren?t at their house, they were by my goats. So I jumped on the 4 wheeler and zipped back there to check them. I was sure proud of what I found back there. One of the Koms had already found her way to the goats. She was barking her head off, I suppose either letting the world know she was on duty and nobody better mess with my goats, or she was calling for the rest of the koms to come and provide backup. I have to say, Koms have got to be the best dog in the world for goat guards. By dark, 2 more had found their way to the goats. One was still on the wrong side of the fence but by morning she had found her way in. I sure am proud of my dogs.

hmm that was a good day i think but most people say valentine night not day :P , anyway in that day i had nothing to do, no university and no job and nothing, i was completely free so i decided to go out and get a nice gift for someone :D , so every thing was going on just like what i planned but something weird happened, one of my friends called me and said he had an accident with his car and he is waiting for polices to come and so he was wanting to see if i can go there and be with him during the process, so i just changed the plan ad went for the place where accident was happened, i get there and i saw his car's back is destroyed by a bus and so he was not able to move his car because his car was rear engined and the engine was not working duo to damage. so we called the road support and they came and get the car to a workshop, so when the process ended it was around 12, so i didn't go home and instead i got a pizza for lunch and then went to some shopping centers for finding the gift. The process of finding a gift is easy when you want to get it for some ones birthday but when it is a day like valentine then probably you will face a huge crowd just digging every shop and cleaning them, this thing happened to me exactly, every shop was cleaned and really i was not able to find a chocolate or a big puppy doll , i was really disappointed and i was walking in a shopping center hopeless till suddenly a truck full of dolls came for providing needed gifts for that day but as all people like me were disappointed so i was the only one in that shopping center in that time and i right went for the truck before them taking down the dolls and i said the case to the owner of shop and driver of the truck so they let me to get into truck to choose which one i want myself. actually it was the first time i had such a great chance to choose between hundreds of them and so i picked one, i didn't take a picture of it but if i saw it again i will take one :D, so i came back to home and at 7pm i went out for the valentine night and i don't think it is necessary to continue the story because it is somehow personal i think :D.So your day was a normal one (from my point of view :P), by the way some new electric fence have come out with some newer abilities, some of them are able of monitoring and giving you the exact position of failure by a number, the number tells the distance of the problem from start of the fence, so by these monitoring things you can easily find the failure position, i haven't seen this type of fences myself but i have heard of them from many peoples and i think they are not expensive too.

electric fence have come out with some newer abilities, some of them are able of monitoring and giving you the exact position of failure by a number

Wow really? I would LOVE to have a fence charger like that! You have no idea the numbers of hours and the miles I have walked over the years looking for that dang little short. Sometimes they are practicly invisable, like when the plastic on an insulator cuts threw and lets the fence wire touch the nail holding the insulator in place. I'm going to have to look into that for sure!

Sorry to hear about your friends accident. At least he wasn't injured. Good of you to help him out. At least you did acomplish what you set out to do and found a nice gift.