xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Anyone Use Trail Gps?

I'm looking to replace my aging Magellan eXplorist 500 "Trail" GPS with something newer. I need an all-purpose outdoor GPS model that doesn't include camera or mp3. I don't need those features and don't want to pay for them. I have been satisfied with the Magellan product, but I would like to try out another brand unless there are some real good reasons to stick with Magellan. Good Geocaching features are a plus. Any unique features in general are a plus. I use these GPS for all kinds of things.. hiking, kaying, mapping trails and measuring speeds. I've seen more 'exercise' focused GPS (like ones that strap on your wrist) out there with cool features like a 'ghost', but I'm not sure thats the direction I want to go in. I like a nice screen with a map to keep from getting lost in the wilderness.I've been looking at the Garmin Oregon 450 and comparing it with similarly priced models. I'm not sure really sure what the differences between the Oregon and Garmin GPSMap are. I liked that the Garmin had a real compass that people say works fine, I kind of hated not having a real compass in my eXplorist. I had to keep moving to get an accurate reading..annoying sometimes!I'm a little concerned about touch screens, other than the cool factor, it seems less functional than one with buttons? It might work great in a vehicle to get to a pizza place, but I'm skeptical how well it works for real mapping use. I wouldn't turn down a good GPS because of a touch screen, but I'm just not sure it's really an advantage over buttons.I don't know much about other brands like Delorme because they don't seem to be as popular as Garmin and Magellan here but I am still considering them. They seem to lack the touch screens? for better or for worse.Does anyone have any experience with these GPS to give an opinion? I've never used a Garmin product before but have experience with a couple Magellans..I've heard Delorme offers some interesting maps, but I don't know how useful that is because I can use Google for great satellite maps at home anyway. I live in Canada so map products like a selection of Ultra High Res US Topo maps aren't that useful for me. However, I have heard of Garmin BirdsEye satellite map subscription. I was wondering how the maps are in my part of the country.. does anyone have a subscription to Garmin BirdsEye that could let me know?Any advice would be great, thanks.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)