xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Pet Statistics

A survey from the American Pet Products Association for 2009 and 2010 show that nearly 50 % of all American households own a dog. 45.6 to be exact. And that is with a total of 77.5 million dogs. So honestly, I?m surprised that the pet section of Xisto is as slow as it is. Especially since it?s my favorite subject anyway. Seems like there should be a lot of pet owners here, even if there are a lot of folks from other countries here too. I wonder how many different countries are represented on this board? I?m curious, and since we have such a huge group here from all over the world, what are the percentages of dog ownership in your country? I?m sure there are other countries in this big wide world that are big on pet ownership, I?d like to see some more statistics for the rest of the world. Wonder if there are other countries that are more pet crazy than America? I do know that there are some cultures that frown upon pet ownership, and religious beliefs that consider dogs to be unclean animals, it would be interesting to know if these countries have higher percentages of other types of pets, or just no pets. If you would like to see the percentages for other pet types besides dogs, the stats can be found here http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp IIt includes fish, horses, cats, birds, and other animals and may be of interest.

wow i'm surprised with this thing, so there is 77 millions dog in united states! i know many families like my neighbour having two or more dogs in their house, so maybe in near future number of dogs will be much more than number of humans on the earth. i'm not a pet owner myself but in our house we have a dog which my mom takes care of it and as i'm 5 days of week with my family in my parent house and other 2 days in mine house, so i'm seeing it most of the times, so maybe i can call myself a half pet owner or something like that, but i really hate from going a dog to monthly checkup which i have done it twice under force of my parents till now.Abut Xisto pet section, i can say if you look around you will find every one is keeping up his/her interesting section so you can do it for this section too, i think "anwii" will come around too if sees your activity in pet section, so start the good work :P . i done a little searching and found that united states is the country with the most dogs in it and after that is Brazil with around 30 million dogs, but i think Brazillians are keeping dogs for some different reasons than americans do. by the way it is not correct to count number of dogs because you have to consider population of that country too and if you consider that you will find Brazillians are as same crazy as Americans are about dogs.as i was interested in your topic so i searched a little and i found some amazing things, it seems Australia has the most number of cats so if you want see a real fight between u.s.a and australia just lets the pets doing it :D . it seems to be 413,283,800 pets in u.s.a which is greater than number of its people (the source is wiki.answer.com) and i was thinking that some day pets will rule the world again just like many years ago. it seems american peoples are tired of this mechanical world and are trying to come back to nature by getting some pets and plants in their homes. as i was searching for pets statics i found some shop selling really beautiful hamsters, i really like their faces so maybe i go and buy one and become a full pet owner not a half one, but it really is time consuming so i need to think about it first.

That is certainly intersting about cats in Austrailia! I do remember reading somewhere that there are more sheep in Austrailia than there are people, but never thought about them aussies being cat lovers! I am glad that you realize getting a pet is something that needs a fair amount of consideration. Depending on the type of pet there can be a fair amount of time required for their care and upkeep. While you don't have to take a hamster for a walk, they do require having their cage cleaned occasionally, and daily fresh feed and water, but that should not require a great deal of time. Of course I feel dogs make the very best pets, but some kind of animal is better than no pets. I really agree with you that people have to get fed up with all the mechanical and quite frankly, unnatural state of life we find ourselves in today. Relating to an animal is a good way to keep in touch with simplier times and ways.