xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
contactskn

Rules And Its Interpretation.

Dear friends sometimes rules becomes the biggest headache if it is being interpreted in a wrong way. Or in other words I would like to say that some times rules are used not to help one but to disturb and torture them. I have faced a similar example recently. Which I would like to share with you all. I am having a saving bank account in SBI head branch of our city for last 10 years or so. Recently a new rule was introduced in the bank that new accounts will be started only when a person is having two ID?s to be attached with the application form, one as photo identity and the other as address proof. Last week I went to the bank with my wife to start an saving bank account with the bank in her name. The clerks over there gave the application form and I filled it in detail and attached the photo identity card of my wife with the application and as the address proof column listed some documentary proof like ration card, credit card, electricity bill, or telephone bill. I have the electricity bill which was in my name and not in my wife?s name. Obviously the electricity connection if it is in my name then the bill will be towards me only. After fulfilling the required need I submitted the form and the clerk refused to open an account and said that the electricity bill as the address proof should be in her name other wise we will not be able to start an account in her name. On which I argued a lot but they were not accepting any of my argument and at last we have to leave the bank. Returning from the bank I met one of my friend and explained every thing to him. He after hearing everything said that just don?t worry I will help you. He said that a smaller branch of the same bank that is SBI is started in the city about 1.5 years ago and that is being operated in my friends building that is to say he has rented the building to the bank. Then we went to that particular branch and ironically I submitted the same form in that branch which was accepted over there. As an introducer it was my friend who signed the form. Even though I was not having an account over here but very easily we got an account in my wife?s name. It was a good day at the end but I was not able to control my curiosity and I went to the manager and enquired and narrated the whole incident and asked why the main branch refused to open the account. On this he smiled and said ?It?s just the wrong interpretation of rules nothing else.? What?s your views on the same please do share.