xisto Community
mrdee

Anyone With Experience Of Blackberry Apps? Yahoo Messenger for Blackberry wont let me log in

Hi,first of all, Merry Christmas to everyone.Talking about Christmas: Santa brought me a nice Blackberry phone.I have set up a lot on it and already learned a lot about its use, but I am really stuck on one thing (or rather, two, of very close family).I installed a number of Blackberry Apps, set up emails etc., but one app is giving me a lot of grief: Yahoo Messenger.Whenever I try to log in (using the same credentials I use on my PC), I constantly get "Invalid user name or password", exactly the same happens when try to open Yahoo Mail from the browser.Yet, on the PC, there is no problem at all with any of those.I also managed to set up my Yahoo email among the email applications, that one is not causing any problems either.I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or even better, if any one knows a solution.All help will be much appreciated.

The error description is most likely the case. My brothers blackberry hard trouble logging into his gmail account as well and the problem was he was entering the incorrect password. There is a modifier key when entering in numbers so make sure you correctly use it where numbers are required.

Thanks for your reply, sonesay.I did forget to mention that there is indeed a combination of numbers and letters that make up my password.However,although it is quite tricky to type in blindly (as your password only shows up as a series of asterisks) on a keyboard you are not yet used to, I always make sure I do get it right, byt typing in my password veryslowly and carefully, and I am sure I must get it right on some occasions.I have also tried to just type in my ID, as I do on the PC, and also typing my ID followed by "@yahoo.com", however, the result is the same every single time.

Thought I'd post a little update here:In the mean time I have found out that the Blackberry phone does not seem to like special characters, such as ampersand (&), underscore (_), percent sign (%) and more.The thing is, my password does not contain any of those, just alphanumeric characters (numbers and letters), but my username (musicteacher_99) contains an underscore as you can see.While it is simple enough to change your password (apparently, when you change it on your PC, log in on the Blackberry, and then change it back to your old password, the Blackberry will accept it), it is not so obvious to change your username.So, is there anyone who knows a way around this, or is it not possible for the Blackberry people to deal with that problem in their software, or is Yahoo more to blame (no idea), or why do the Blackberry and Yahoo people not interact and try to sort the problem out.Surely they must both know the problem exists.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

first of all happy Christmas too, it's very strange problem actually i think the problem is from your provider. which model of BlackBerry you have got? if it has wifi connectivity then you can try logging in to your yahoo messenger with your home PC internet service provider and see if it works but if not then may be you have problem with inserting your password :D just try to type your password anywhere which you can see it and see if it's exactly like what you think. i'm currently using yahoo mail through black berry 5 default browser and there is no problem with signing in. anyway be happy with your black berry .

Yes, I am momentarily very happy with my Blackberry.It is a Blackberry Curve 8520 Smartphone.I do use my WiFi connection too, but it makes no difference.I also set up a separate yahoo account, without the underscore in my username and that allows me to log in.However, I feel that is not the point, I would like to be able to use my original Yahoo account on the Blackberry, and I am beginning to believe that the fault lies indeed in the special characters which seem to present a problem to the Blackberry.I really wish they could get that bug out of it.

Hi,first of all, Merry Christmas to everyone.
Talking about Christmas: Santa brought me a nice Blackberry phone.
I have set up a lot on it and already learned a lot about its use, but I am really stuck on one thing (or rather, two, of very close family).

I installed a number of Blackberry Apps, set up emails etc., but one app is giving me a lot of grief: Yahoo Messenger.

Whenever I try to log in (using the same credentials I use on my PC), I constantly get "Invalid user name or password", exactly the same happens when try to open Yahoo Mail from the browser.

Yet, on the PC, there is no problem at all with any of those.

I also managed to set up my Yahoo email among the email applications, that one is not causing any problems either.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or even better, if any one knows a solution.

All help will be much appreciated.
ipad 2 covers ipad 2 speaker ipad2 smart covers

However,although it is quite tricky to type in blindly (as your password only shows up as a series of asterisks) on a keyboard you are not yet used to, I always make sure I do get it right, byt typing in my password veryslowly and carefully, and I am sure I must get it right on some occasions.
Edited by gillian001 (see edit history)