xisto Community
mrdee

Any Dreamweaver Experts Out There? Making Flash video play full screen with Dreamweaver

Hi,since yesterday I have started using Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, so far I have always been used to Coffeecup HTML Editor.As is always the case with Adobe programs, the software is very powerful, lots of features and possibilities, but extremely difficult to use, while the help and support is practically zero.Anyway, I noticed (and, at the risk of repeating myself, I am a total beginner with Dreamweaver, and trying to learn the features step by step), I noticed it is fairly simple to embed a Flash Video (.SWF or .FLV) into you web pages using Dreamweaver, by just going to Insert, and then Select Media, and the appropriate format you want, then you just select the film you want to embed and Dreamweaver puts all the relevant code in place.That is fine, and while there are a number of options you can choose (eg. size, player skin and more), I cannot seem to find the feature I want, ie. making it possible for the page visitor to let the video play full screen.Thus far, I have been using Flowplayer (a nice free web media player) and that has a full screen button on the player as standard, or you can just double click the film, and it will play in full screen mode.I know this is possible with Flash player too, after all, eg. Youtube uses the Adobe Flash Player and switching to full screen is no problem.However, when I checked a tutorial, someone had asked the same question as mine, and the first line in the reply was:"make sure you select a skin that has the full screen button on it".I have searched all over, I seem to have 9 different skins: Clear skin 1,2,3, Corona skin 1,2,3 and Halo skin 1,2,3.The problem is: NONE of them have a full screen button on them, they just have the usual Play, Pause, Stop and volume control/mute button.Some of them have a time progress bar.I also know that adding a line in the parameter code does the trick, namely when you set AllowFullScreen to "true", I tried to add this to the code but it made no difference, it does seem to need (as the reply to the post said) a skin with a full screen button first.Does anyone know how I could solve that problem? Or is it possible to download further skins from the Adobe site, skins that do have a full screen button on them?If anyone could enlighten me on that, I would be very grateful.

The full screen button is dependent on the SWF player you are loading. Dreamweaver ONLY provides the basic player which of course play, pause and stop movies from playing. If you want full screen support then buy a license player or use an open source player that have full screen support. The button will only appear or even function if the player bundled with your Dreamweaver have that function.Dreamweaver is a text editor and not an all purpose software.

Oh, OK.Thanks, Vortax.However, you would expect such a complex, and especially expensive program like Dreamweaver, on top of that a program from the same makers as the Flash player, to be able to do such a thing.Well, seems like it is best for me to stick to flowplayer then, with the consequence of doing all the code by hand, like I did in the past.Thanks Adobe.

I personally don't suggest anyone using dreamweaver because it like an advanced text editor and an offline browser which is very expensive.I use notepad++ as my text editor and for reviewing my designed page i only use firefox in offline mode and that's it. For playing flvs the flowplayer is just good but for designing i've choosed Adobe Flash Professional CS5 and i think in this case you can't find any freeware with abilities of this one.I suggest you to test JW Player too it''s opensource and i found it just 3 days ago and i haven't test it completely yet. The default buttons are the play-pause , fullscreen button and the volume control but these can be expended with plugins that you choose. building skin for this player is very easy and there is an instruction for building skins in their website which makes it very easy to build one.

Yes, that's right, Yegani.Funny enough, most professionals use Dreamweaver, but it is indeed very expensive and very complex to use in some areas.That is why I would think you could expect a program at that price and with a reputation like that to do the more advanced jobs properly.Especially when you think that it is a program by the same company that makes all the other software which you are trying to incorporate in your website and which turns out not to work properly.I would understand if you used third party plugins or accessories that Adobe would be less willing to make these work properly in order to promote their own software, but it seems that Flowplayer (also open source) does a much better job than the Adobe Flash Player itself.Of course, the price to pay is that all the code has to be entered by hand, where Dreamweaver enters it for you when you use the "Insert Media" feature in the program (or am I wrong there? I am a Dreamweaver beginner after all).There also seems to be an Adobe Media Player (I believe that is new), but I have not figured out how to use that yet, and in the help files, every example using that Media player says "Error: failed to load Adobe Media Player", which is of course very helpful to me).Anyway, if anyone has any further ideas, eg. with regards to using the Media Player, feel free to post them here.As always, I am very grateful for the input I get from other users.