xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SuburbanalCuts

Malcolm X: Autobiography anyone eva read this?

yeah this is in my top five list for my favorite books. it's so damn coo, and better then the spike lee movie. Everybody should read this. It shows the racism of american society and what X to help people stop being brainwashed. It starts when he's young and stuff, being called n*gger by his teachers and his family being torn apart, and as he grows up he enters a life of crime and drugs. Eventually he gets arrested and is drawn to Islam by his brother while in prison. He didn't know it at the time but the Islam he was following was not actually Islam, but a racist cult posing as Islam called "The Nation of Islam." Anyway he joins this for 12 years until he figure out that the Honorable Ellijah Muhhamad (the head of the organization) has commited adultery, something you're not supposed to do in the Muslim religion, and also is jealous of Malcolm X. Anyway, he goes through a number of changes in his life and it's a really inspirational/informing book. READ IT. READ IT. :D

I completely agree. I don't know about the book, but we saw this movie in our "Sociology" class and I was really blown away. It sure is worth a watch. I mean the way all of the small ignorable facts are shown in the movie are really amazing. And movies like these really make you think and understand how the society has evolved.

I completely agree. I don't know about the book, but we saw this movie in our "Sociology" class and I was really blown away. It sure is worth a watch. I mean the way all of the small ignorable facts are shown in the movie are really amazing. And movies like these really make you think and understand how the society has evolved.

51480[/snapback]

yup. but there still are a lot of racists in this country. If another african american activist with as much determination/popularity as X came along he would probably be assasinated too.

also, according to this site, 50% of african american children are growing up in poverty, so the problem defiently isn't solved.

I read this book about 2 years ago, and it really is wonderful. Watching Malcolm's evolution is remarkable.He had one helluva rough life... his mom went crazy, he became a hustler, got locked up--even earning the nickname "Satan" for his bitterly anti-religious attitude... it's amazing what he made out of his life.