xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Dell Battery And Charger

i have a 2 year old dell inspiron 1520 laptop. about 6 months ago i bought a 9 cell battery since i needed longer battery life with out plugging it in. about 2 months after that, the battery stopped charging. the computer would only work when it was plugged in, but wouldnt charge. my normal battery did the same thing when i switched the batteries. the ac adapter's green light is on so i know the adapter is working, and i also tried to plug my computer into a different dell 1520 wall charger, but still nothing. all it will do is keep the computer on, and as soon as i take it off the charger, the laptop shuts off. i cannot contact dell since i dont have a warranty and it costs money to even talk to them on the phone, and there are no dell retail stores. so if anyone has any insights at all, that would be very helpful!

well i can't help you about your problem but i will share you what i know. i have dell laptop inspiron 1520, and i bought it about two years ago too. and believe it or not i changed the charger 3 times till now. also the battery right now is completely not working so i depend only on plugin power. and after a quick search through the net i found that this is the only flow in dell. his charger and that affects the battery as well. so you are not the only one. and from my experience, never buy any battery or charger from the market, just buy the original one from dell service company. it costs about 60$ last time i checked. and you can order it by the net, and here is the link, good luck.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hi,

I may be able to help you. I've dealt with similar situations, and I know how tedious it can be when you're unable to know the exact problem.

As far as your adapter (charger) goes - - it does not matter whether the green light is on, just two days ago my cousins laptop charger wasn't working, but her neighbours worked on her laptop (they had same model laptops). Her concern was whether it was the laptop, as the GREEN LIGHT was on.

The green light indicates that their is electricity flowing through the adapter. However, an internal fault with a resister or any other component can leave the charger useless.

I KNOW WITH DELL - it will detect if you do not have a battery as it will show a RED 'X' on the battery icon, and a plug icon to say you are plugged in. My issue here is that the adapter seems to work, and that both batteries are not working.

This further implies that your laptop charging facility, isn't functioning properly. You can call DELL for support however they charge as it is out of warranty. My advice would be to consult Dell, find out the possible problem and deal with it yourself.