xisto Community
zanzibarjones

The Teaching Of The Mustard Seed Christianity

So growing up, I always heard the Mustard seed story told like this:

Jesus told them verily, verily I say unto thee, if ye had faith that of a mustard seed, you can say to the mountain move forth with, and it will move

And it was always explained like this. If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, because a mustard seed is very small, you can do anything. Everyone is given a measure of faith, you just need to believe you have it.
And later after I got saved, I went back and re read that passage, and ya know what I saw it a little differently, and it made a huge impact on my life.

The statement that Jesus made was this, "If you had faith that OF a mustard seed". He didn't say faith the size of a mustard seed, he said faith OF.
Now, to me, that meant something completely different. To me this said, "If you have faith like that of a mustard seed..."

Faith that of... A seed has no soul. It just does what it is supposed to do, grow. You put the seed into the ground and it will do what it was designed to do, because that is all it knows. It does what it was told to do, grow and bear fruit (or mustard as it were)

We as humans need to do the same. Understand we are here for a purpose and just do it, without question. You were designed a specific way for the kingdom of God, so just shut up, stop complaining, asking dumb questions and just do it.

And if you are willing to do that, then God will provide everything you need in order to 'grow' just as he would when the mustard seed starts to grow. He provide the mustard seed with rain, nutrients, sunlight, etc. He will provide for us the needs of our lives as long as we do what we were meant to do.

Just something I wanted to share with those who believe :)

Thank you. I enjoyed that very much. Very inspiring.Not to say that you're right or wrong about the "size" of the mustard seed, but make sure that you read various translations as well as both the account in Matthew and Luke. To be honest, I see exactly where you're coming from and rather enjoy that perspective, but at the same time, I think it could be related both ways at the same time.I wish I knew Hebrew and Greek to be able to understand the bible a little better in its original context, but as I am sure you know, things get "lost in translation". Although I often read from NIV or ESV (sometimes ASV and (N)KJV, which I'm glad to see you do) I always enjoy reading the Amplified bible for that very reason whenever I am faced trying to figure out the medium of what is being said since it basically is like a mini Thomson Reference.Anyways, very good! I knew when I saw the title of your topic it could hardly be none other than a Biblical passage.

I am glad that you enjoyed that. I've been milling over that for a year or so.

It's not that I think that saying faith the size of a mustard seed is wrong, I just believe that it has been taught that way for so long, that we tend to stop thinking by ourselves and just go with what is said or taught to us.

Yes most definitely things are lost in translation. I tell ya, I use an app called e-sword. It's a really great free bible study app, and it has many, many free translations that go along with it. Along with many free study guides, graphics, maps, etc. You should check it out. And I use that app too sometimes get the original greek or hebrew word and compare versions next to each other. it's a great tool!