xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DodgyPhil

Dodgyphil's Article About 'religious Television' Its a corker Or is it?

In preparation for revamping my site, I decided I should probably write some content.. Being a person who ends up watching a lot of tacky morning television, I have had a great deal of experience in 'Religious Television'. I decided to write an article about it. Keep in mind I've only just finished my English GCSE, so am slightly writing-averse at the moment.. Also, I've had to edit out some cuss-words, but if I've missed any, I'll have to rely of KS's trustworthy word-filter.

Most shows on television have to adhere to a strict policy of political correctnessbut some people have managed to turn it into an art form. No where is this more apparent than on day time religious television. While every good American can enjoy tuning into an evangelical preacher screaming abuse at a former heroin addict, and a good portion of the Middle East sit their children in front of child-friendly, Sharia law supporting bunnies with an anti-Semitic agenda; here in Britain we are treated to The Heaven and Earth show.
The Heaven and Earth show was a program about religion. But luckily, it managed to avoid all the silly aspects of religion such as belief, prayer, redemption, respect, morality, hardship, culture and religion. Instead, the Heaven and Earth show focused on spirituality. The word spirituality is great as it allows the BBC to avoid the awkward subject of religion; on a program about religion.
On the Heaven and Earth show various limp-wristed spirituals had the opportunity to argue in favour of their beliefs in a non-offensive and non-judgemental environment. As a result the only people who ever appeared on The Heaven and Earth Show were Buddhists and Ghost believers.
The show also managed to portray religion as some form of new-age medicine that can, just like.. Chill you out man..
The conclusion of pretty much every episode of The Heaven and Earth Show was:
Everyone is right.
Thats not the point of religion! Religion isnt about getting mellow, its about worshipping a man who allowed himself to be tortured to death over 2,000 years ago so that humans could escape being eternally burnt in a lake of fire.
Religion isnt about accepting others beliefs, its about fighting for your own and refusing to rest until every man, woman and child who disagrees with you has been turned into an all you can eat maggot buffet.
The heaven and earth show was so inconsequential that its almost impossible to find any good clips to highlight my points. All I could find on YouTube was Bridging Heaven and Earth Show (an American program that looks deeply into real religious questions) and David Mitchells rant about The Heaven and Earth Show which is unfortunately IDENTICAL to this article thus far, but Ill soldier on..
The main problem with the Heaven and Earth show is its presenters. Aside from the fairly wet males (that sentence could be misconstrued as youll see in a minute) the vast majority of the female hosts were no-nothing playboy bunny types who served as eye-candy.
Take for instance Philippa Forrester, who is such a M.I.L.F that it actually makes me angry. Its easy to see why Philippa was chosen to present the Heaven and Earth show when her other presenting gigs involved Barking Mad (the BBCs incredibly crude day-time show about problem pets who piss on the floor) and Robot Wars (the BBCs answer to the American Robot Wars, a program entirely devoted to dads who spend far too much time in the garage working on their kids projects).
Its easy to take a pop at The Heaven and Earth Show; the BBCs warm and fuzzy alternative to having a belief, but when it was cancelled its time slot was filled with something far worse: The Big Questions. A show as terrifying as it is ****ing boring.
The Big Questions fills a room with the leaders of various religious sects and political parties, and then allows them to hurl and receive abuse over a 60 minute period. Needless to say it can range from being as much fun as watching paint dry, to as calming as being shot in the face by a Nazi. When a hysterical Muslim Cleric (who in no way manages to present Islam as an accessible, modern religion) isnt screeching into the ear of a terrified Bradford City councillora feminist with a grating voice will be discussing the Wonder Bras role in empowering female priests for over 40 minutes.
It seems like no religious programming can get it right. Programmes like The Heaven and Earth Show reduced religion to a bit of me time, while lamentable crap-heaps like The Big Questions allow the worst possible representatives of each faith to further alienate the general public through sheer idiocy.
Maybe TV will never get it right, but do you really care? I think not. Good day sir.

If you think the BBC could ever present anything on the topic of religion the way they are supposed to, then i suppose your best friend can only be called Disappointment.

If you think the BBC could ever present anything on the topic of religion the way they are supposed to, then i suppose your best friend can only be called Disappointment.

I assume you've had the displeasure of sitting through both of the aforementioned programmes then..
I've always imagined the BBC trying to do a 'Best of Religious Bloopers' clip show, interspersed with 'hilarious' material from Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.
It does seem like they're incapable of handling a debate. The whole reason for the hysteria surrounding the Wooton Bassett protestors is because the BBC gave undue air-time to the leaders of Islam4UK (a petty organisation of no real importance in comparison to other, far more sinister fundamentalists). They then backed up the idea that all Muslims are rabid west-haters by only interviewing ONE female Iranian (who opposed the protests) and about 20 random punters on the street who were either incredibly thick British folk from all-white areas or hysterical muslims (all under the age of 19 and with no education).

If people think media should show things which are biased to their religion. Then that is the worst thing we can think of atleast for democratic country.Pick any leading channel and you'll find that most of the morning shows are full of those mormon prayers and jenhonvas witness ads. They're collecting funds and wasting them on the television to increase followers. And they even expect world to think like them ? *beats me* BBC though going biased way these days on most of the things i still see some hopes in comparison to fox network. Fox network is full of islam hatred people and the way they show and treat islam is really pathetic. But then again Islamic as usual foul cry saying americans are against islam.They fail to see their own home grown network where they're preaching against America and Christians. In india there is one channel called peacetv where they preach against religions like Christianity and Hinduism or Buddhism. You can watch youtube videos of mickey mouse in hama for talks against Christians and Americans. Media is manipulated and if people start to see the reality of religion from secualr media then surely many pro-religious will get hurt and will bash secular media by calling them pro-X religion etc. Replace X with the opposite religion. You'll see pattern here like X media channel shows this then religious people foul cry about that media channel being biased or spreading false information. Religious people live in self bias world so all they want is that information that is available out there should be in favor to their faith or religion. Else they'll make attack in all possible ways to strengthen their religious power or faith..