xisto Community
mrdee

Copying Files In Windows 7 Admin privileges sometimes required

Hi,I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:I use Windows 7 Ultimate, and sometimes, when I try to copy a file from one folder to another on my hard drive, a window pops up telling me I need Administrator privileges to do so.The thing is, I DO have full Administrator privileges, but I must add, the file I am trying to copy is on a backup drive (drive D:\) and needs to be copied to the main hard drive (drive C:\).Can anyone tell me how I can change things so the file recognises I am an administrator?Thank you very much in advance.

oh no. not THIS question! haha. well, you problem is common. unfortunately, there is no one set way to fix it. i HIGHLY suggest in the meantime, you try to google some answers. there are about 5-6 valid ways to try to correct your problem. some work for some people and don't work for other people so you really have to get your hands dirty and do some research in this subject.i will start by offering one suggestion. if you go in to the properties of the file you want copied, most likely it is "read only". most likely you wont be able to uncheck that box and change permissions so you will have to open a command prompt and change permissions that way. but again. sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. it all depends.another thing i would try(which i have never tried before) is to log in from the admin account. normally this account is invisable but there are ways to set it visable and log in from it.i have run in to this before and let me tell you. sometimes it's HELL to figure out how to copy files from a backup. i remember one time, none of the options that normally work, worked and spent two days trying to find a solution with extensive research and finally found a solution. unfortunately, i don't know all the possible solutions without researching again my own self. but i would FIRST try to check the permissions to the files and make sure they are not "Read only". also check the folder that the files are in for the folder permissions as well. also, some ftp programs may allow you to change local file permissions easily so you wont have to go in to the command prompt to change permissions.the command to change a file permission(or attribute) from "read only" is "attrib -r somefile.ext". when you enter in this command and name the file to be changed, you have to make sure you enter the extention of the file as well or it wont recognize the file. to get to the command prompt, you click on the windows icon for the start menu, enter in "cmd" and hit enter. you will then need to change directories to where your backup files are. for example. if your backup files are on a d drive, you would use "cd d:" to change to the d drive from the command prompt. to list the contents of the folder you are in, type in "dir" and hit enter. make sure your file is in the directory you are currently in before you try to change permissions.

Try changing the permissions for c drive...Right click on c drive and click properties...Click on security... Give read and write permissions to users and system too...Apply and then try again....