xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Maintenance After Unchanged Oil And Filters

Hi!I have an old diesel-driven car that I lent and by the time I got it back, it's been driven for about a year without having had the oil and filters changed as often as they should have... in fact, the oil and filters were changed only after the filters were clogged and the engine would stall each time the accelerator pedal was released. I know, it's a sorry state for a car to be in, but it is what it is.I was wondering what I'd have to do to get the car serviced. It runs just fine after an oil and filter change, but I thought perhaps I'd have to get the engine dismantled and the cylinders cleaned up or something of the sort.BTW, is it okay for me to pop the hood and hose down all the visible dust with water? I know it doesn't do the engine any good to have the dust taken off, but having so much dust in there just doesn't feel right.

Edited by k_nitin_r (see edit history)