xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Admecindia

Difference Between A Web Designer And A Web Developer

Many of us dont know the exact difference between web designing & a web development. Though the terms 'web design' and 'web development' sound very similar, they actually mean two very different things. Web design is the art of making attractive websites with good usability. Web-developers help you build your website; again, they deal with the unseen coding aspect of a website, known as the back-end, and are primarily concerned with making a website function quickly, efficiently, and with the greatest stability. After the content is created, someone has to take it and format it into web pages. This is the responsibility of the web developer.

Web-designers deal with the front-end of a website, while web-developers deal with the back-end of a website web design is more creative, and to be a good web designer you must understand the basic concepts art. Web designers have to be creative and at least a little bit technical. Web developers have to be technically savvy and creative as well. A web developer (or web programmer) is a software developer or software engineer specializes in the development of World Wide Web applications. A Web Developer should be proficient in client-side and server-side technologies, and understand databases and SQL language that is used to access them.

Earlier an ICWA, C.A. Etc were the most highest paid professions but Now a days web designer profession is the most highest paid profession, from a small consultancy to a MNC is hiring a web designer & developer, apart from this a person can also work as a free lancer but it all matters on your knowledge & kind of training you have taken. There a large no of Institutes giving web designing training but a simple training itself isnt sufficient you need to be trained professionally and ADMEC is the only Institute in Delhi which gives Highly professional training with individual approach and also with a very flexible timings as this is the only Institute which remain open for all 7 days.

If you like this topic & want to subscribe this then just make an email to us at info@admecindia.co.in & give us your feedback.

Notice from BuffaloHelp:
Contribute with your own words. Please do not copy and paste into our forum.

Web-developer can be a designer too :lol:Web-developer is working the front-end,and he has the "kernel" of the website. And, web developer doesn't need to know SQL or a specific programming language. If he did the front-end, he is a developer :) Anyway,good post i wanted to say something like this. It is important when you want to get a website and you don't know what you need,a developer or a designer. Designer is creative, but he hates programming and he uses templates and edits them. While,web developer needs to know HTML and CSS and can make a website without any special software.

well, i really think that every web developer should know a little about web designing and on the contrary,every web designer should know a little about web developing. this way he will be the perfect web programmer.?maybe this is only my opinion but i really like to consider myself both of them as a "web designer" and a? "web developer", and i decided to study and know much about both of them because i really hate anyone to put his fingers in my design or my code. i always want to do everything my own way. therefore i work on both front-end and back-end, and use all my knowledge about designs and codes to get the perfect website. so i think knowing even a little about designs or codes will help you do a better work than know nothing at all.

Lol i dont consider web developer as the back end. That'll be like calling the heart of our body as the back-end. I would probably put the hosting service provider as the back-end. Just my opinion.

I consider web designers as being those who do the graphical stuff and the mental pictures. For example, they would be the ones to do the site layout and choose the graphics. I view the web developer as the one who puts everything together, does the coding, etc.Like if we were to take it in an analogy of a book, I would view the designer as the one who determines what the book is about and how long it should be, and the developer would do the cover/writing/etc.

As Bandias said, a web designer can also be a web developer. However, the fact still remains that a web developer is often considered the guy who does the back-end work. But; a web designer can also be only the guy who actually only *designed* the website.That is, Mister X designs the website in Photoshop (just an example), and then Mister Y and Mister Z do the front-end work. They then become not Front-end designers (or web designers), but front-end developers. :)And if then Mister XYZ and Mister ABC do the back-end work, then they become back-end developers.Finally, if one person does the entire thing than he becomes a web-designer/developer?! No, I don't think so.As you can see, there are many ways we could abstract the word web-designer or web-developer, but fact remains a DESIGNER should be called the person designing, and the DEVELOPER should be called the person developing (i.e., coding).For convenience sake, and for *normal* (that is, non-programmer) people to understand it easier, we often refer to people making websites as "web-designers". It's like calling "video-games" only "games". Because, games can be board games, card games, tequilla ga... (Oops, I probably shouldn't have said that :D)... The fact remains, we can often differentiate these types of games from the sole context (i.e., if I say "I just bought a great game for my computer", it's implied that it's a video/computer/PC game).Whoa! This text-essay just made me look a bit smart. :D I guess I'm just happy the myCent system is back on. :D

Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

As Bandias said, a web designer can also be a web developer. However, the fact still remains that a web developer is often considered the guy who does the back-end work.
But; a web designer can also be only the guy who actually only *designed* the website.

That is, Mister X designs the website in Photoshop (just an example), and then Mister Y and Mister Z do the front-end work. They then become not Front-end designers (or web designers), but front-end developers. :)

And if then Mister XYZ and Mister ABC do the back-end work, then they become back-end developers.

Finally, if one person does the entire thing than he becomes a web-designer/developer?! No, I don't think so.

As you can see, there are many ways we could abstract the word web-designer or web-developer, but fact remains a DESIGNER should be called the person designing, and the DEVELOPER should be called the person developing (i.e., coding).

For convenience sake, and for *normal* (that is, non-programmer) people to understand it easier, we often refer to people making websites as "web-designers".

It's like calling "video-games" only "games". Because, games can be board games, card games, tequilla ga... (Oops, I probably shouldn't have said that :D)

... The fact remains, we can often differentiate these types of games from the sole context (i.e., if I say "I just bought a great game for my computer", it's implied that it's a video/computer/PC game).

Whoa! This text-essay just made me look a bit smart. :D I guess I'm just happy the myCent system is back on. :D

Well I think if someone does *all* of the work on a site it would make them a "web developer." At least that's how I view it for some reason. I really can't explain why or justify it, but for some reason when I think of a sole website maker the term that comes to mind is "web developer."

Maybe it's because I'm better at the coding than graphics in everything (C++, websites, etc.) and so it's one of those things you feel but don't know why, lol.

Well I think if someone does *all* of the work on a site it would make them a "web developer." At least that's how I view it for some reason. I really can't explain why or justify it, but for some reason when I think of a sole website maker the term that comes to mind is "web developer."
Maybe it's because I'm better at the coding than graphics in everything (C++, websites, etc.) and so it's one of those things you feel but don't know why, lol.

I know, in the end it always depends on your own preference how you're going to call it. I, too, sometimes refer to a person as a "web designer", and sometimes as a web-developer.