xisto Community
sukhi

Junk Food Has Drugs In It.

sciencenets

I am not at all surprised that junk food manufacturers do put certain chemicals in their junk food
for people to come back to buy the same thing again and again. MSG is one of them and most of these
things make people crave the junk food. Even Maggi has MSG.. all created to make people more and more
dependant on their products which are neither nutritious nor that tasty and nor enviornment freindly !

The article doesn't actually say junk food has drugs in it - just that it can cause an addiction, in the same way that anything pleasurable can cause an addiction. Any activity that releases the chemicals that make the body experience pleasure can lead to an addiction by exactly the same method.

Most of these stories, when reported with headlines like the topic title, are entirely sensationalist. Did you know, for example, that most foods have very high levels of hydroxylic acid, often intentionally added by the manufacturer? Even healthy products such as natural fruit juices often have high levels of E300, again intentionally added by the manufacturer.

The article doesn't actually say junk food has drugs in it - just that it can cause an addiction, in the same way that anything pleasurable can cause an addiction. Any activity that releases the chemicals that make the body experience pleasure can lead to an addiction by exactly the same method.

Most of these stories, when reported with headlines like the topic title, are entirely sensationalist. Did you know, for example, that most foods have very high levels of hydroxylic acid, often intentionally added by the manufacturer? Even healthy products such as natural fruit juices often have high levels of E300, again intentionally added by the manufacturer.

there is nothing sensational about such stories. Sensationalism is today needed to grab readers attention to a story

but alas as everthing today is a story so truth has also be sensationalised. The corporates dont want this to be taken

up seriously so that they can backdoors keep mixing stuff that makes their clients addictive so they want to taste the same

taste when they are actually consuming something so *BLEEP* that even a Dog doesnt eat.

Wafers , choclates , coca-cola , pepsi , water and all other packaged stuff has the

poorest nutrional value and the corporates know this well and hence have to

put in some kind of chemicals that they would get their customers to be hooked onto ?

IT is so simple and people doubt if this would be true .. some would do or not but trust me when you have

an option of saving even one cent of money to increase your profits , you would surely do it. Just making sure

at the edge that the stuff doesnt kill it's customer instantly but slowly.

This is common sense. All junk have so many chemicals used to keep it FRESH. LOL. Do you really believe TROPICANA is giving you 100% real juice ? Don't you make juice at home? When I compare Tropicana juice with the juice I make at home... Boss, its 200% different. Whats going on here?

Can I consider Pepsi & Coke as Junk Food ??

I got emails telling me how This can dissolve bones and can be used to clean TOILETS. Posted Image

Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? Because it gets you high. They removed the cocaine almost 100 years ago. Why? It was redundant.

Coke

* In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don't immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.

* 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there's plenty of that at this particular moment.)

* 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate; your blood pressure rises; as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness.

* 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

* > 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

* > 60 minutes: The caffeine's diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you'll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium, and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes, and water.

* > 60 minutes: As the rave inside you dies down, you'll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You've also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system, or building strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you're a smoker.)

Coke itself isn't the enemy here. It's the dynamic combo of massive sugar doses combined with caffeine and phosphoric acid, which are found in almost all sodas. Moderation, people!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Did you read about Mentos / Pepsi Reaction ? Read More @ Wiki

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/#

yeah Opaque you got it right .. I mean there is hell of a difference

between fresh juice made at home and what we get with tropicana.

Tropicana and other processed juices tastes like acidic , falvored drinks

that dont seem to have much fruits in it Posted Image only chemicals.

That to such stuff is produced with depleting huge water reservoirs , huge transport

load on earth , pollution and then we get a *BLEEP* product at home ! OMG

just for the sake of that bottle that is *BLEEP* in the first place we are paying exorbitant prices.

The coporates must have though ok let me make some new tingy taste that somehow is similar

to the fruit taste and then in time with our ADDED FLAVORS which seem to me a nice way of saying we are putting in chemicals in it which shall

give you some taste that one can call ORAGNE juice but it is actually getting one addicted to that *BLEEP* flavor !

there is nothing sensational about such stories. Sensationalism is today needed to grab readers attention to a story but alas as everthing today is a story so truth has also be sensationalised.

The article you link to is in no way sensationalist. The title you applied to this topic certainly is!

The corporates dont want this to be takenup seriously so that they can backdoors keep mixing stuff that makes their clients addictive so they want to taste the same
taste when they are actually consuming something so *BLEEP* that even a Dog doesnt eat.
Wafers , choclates , coca-cola , pepsi , water and all other packaged stuff has the
poorest nutrional value and the corporates know this well and hence have to
put in some kind of chemicals that they would get their customers to be hooked onto ?

When companies add these substances to foods, you are right that in many cases there are suspicious and profit-driven reasons. But consider the flip side - like the two examples I mentioned in my first post. Those are both "chemical-sounding" names, so people are instantly up in arms about them being added to food. But they're just water and vitamin C! The same applies to many other substances that are added to foods. When cooking at home, you always add ingredients to change the flavour or texture of what you're making, and that's fine. The ingredients you add contain the same substances used in manufacturing the foods in factories. There is no difference in many cases! It's just cheaper to buy a ton of the pure substance than a ton of some food/plant that contains it.

Take the substance monosodium glutamate (also known as MSG or E621). People complain about it being added to foods. But it's a naturally occurring substance, created from sugar beet. It occurs 'naturally' in lots of Asian cooking, and in things such as soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. When added as a pure chemical, people complain. But when added as a seaweed extract or sugar extract, people are fine with it. Why? They do exactly the same thing, and contain the same chemical. People are just frightened of chemical names. People prefer to see "natural sugar extracts" rather than "monosodium glutamate" or "E621" on their food labels.

This is common sense. All junk have so many chemicals used to keep it FRESH. LOL. Do you really believe TROPICANA is giving you 100% real juice ? Don't you make juice at home? When I compare Tropicana juice with the juice I make at home... Boss, its 200% different. Whats going on here?

Fresh juice is make from squished fruit. Juice which is sold in those Tetrapak boxes and isn't from the refrigerated section of the supermarket is normally made from a concentrated syrup. The difference is noticeable. I would make my own juice, but I didn't bring my juicer and smoothie maker to university with me :)

Thankfully, In India, Suger cane, Orange, Sweet Lime & Pineapple Juice is available in every corner with hawkers who prepare the juice fresh in front of you. (@ 10 INR i.e. 20 cents.)

And I like to eat Hot Toast sandwitch outside which is also pretty healthy especially @ 50 cents with cheese. ( I prefer Junk HOT as I believe its biologically healthy) Posted Image

Before we beat up on Tropcana too badly, you have to remember that not all of us live in an area where fresh citrus can be grown. Transporting juice is probably more efficient than transporting whole oranges, since you are not paying for the shipping weight of the peels and other non edible parts. Even if whole oranges were shipped, care would have to be taken to make sure the product arrived safely and some type of preservation techniques would have to be used to deliver the product. (like picking them before they were fully ripe and more easily damaged in transport, or have a much shorter shelf life) Unprocessed juice could also pose health risks, due to spoilage. As bad as we hate additives and preservatives, in some instances they are nessary. I certainly won't argue with you that if you have access to fresh, tree ripened produce, you are very lucky in deed, and it certainly can't be beat for quality and flavor.