xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigboss

Spybot Search & Destroy how to remove dso exploits within spybot

I found this on my travels & thought it might be helpful smile2.gifIf you have the latest Internet Explorer version and all your Windows Updates, you can safely ignore the DSO Exploit as a potential problem when Spybot Search and Destroy or other spyware removal tools discover it. However if you would rather fix the exploit so it does not show up again, follow these steps to edit your Windows Registry. Please be careful however, incorrect changes to the Windows Registry can cause Windows to not boot.1) Make a note of the location of the exploit shown in Spybot, something similar to:HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1614895754-73586283-725345543-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=32) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and Press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor3) Find the location of the exploit above in the registry by clicking on the pluses(+) next to each title4) After opening the Zones section and clicking on '0' look to the right window, under 'name' is the key '1004' and the type is REG_SZ simply right click and delete this REG_SZ value.Then right click and create new>DWORD Value, name it 1004, then right click on that and goto modify, give it the Hex Value of 3, Click ok.If there is only a DWORD Value for the key (in this case 1004), then double click on the key and change the HEX value to 3 and click Ok.5) Close the Registry Editor and Reboot your computer6) The DSO Exploit should now be removed and it should no longer appear in the Spybot Search and Destroy log as a problem

Is it wise to alter the registry? I suggest you if you don't know what you are doing not to work on registry. Also, I think spybot search and destroy is not 100% spyware proof. the best way to avoid is you should be careful while surfing the internet. It's your responsibility too. Do not open mail from unknown sender or the spams. Also never visit unauthorised sites especially illegal sites. Again, you need to install good antivirus.