xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Another Hurricane Season The 2010 season is almost here

Well all, the 2010 Atlantic Hurricane season is almost here. June 1st. There has been a lot of talk around the weather community about this season. With El Nino now on the way out, everyone is saying this could be the busiest year since the 2005 season, 28 storms that year. WSI has gone far enough to say 18 named storms. wsi

Most everyone from Weather Underground to the National Hurricane Center are even saying in that range as well. I have been dealing with watching the weather now for over 10+ yrs and I am seeing a trend here that scares the heck out of me. More and more hurricanes and bigger ones. But what worries me the most is, are people ready? I have heard from a lot of people that have been watching the weather for a lot longer than I have. They are all thinking this season we could see a storm hit places that well normally do not get such a storm or have not seen one in many years. Such as where I am in New Jersey. 1903 was the last direct hit we took. Would people be ready if such a storm was to hit. Even more so if it was in a large city such as New York? I don't think so. Even more so would the Government be ready. could they handle the on sought of people put out of there homes? nope. I know this sounds as it is a vent but it really is not. Not unless people are ready for such an event and god forbid it happens. Then yes it would be a vent.

What I would like to know is what if? what if such a storm was to effect you and your family. are you ready? could you handle being without power for weeks maybe months. do you have a plan of action in case there was a storm heading your way? I know some of you don't live in the US or even in a coastal area, but it is still a very good idea to have some sort of plan. some of you are old enough to remember a hurricane that hit the Mississippi gulf coast back in 1969. that storm was Camille. For over 200 miles inland she has winds clocked over 100MPH. Major flooding all the way up into Virginia. so you see, it is a good idea to have a plan.