xisto Community
mrdee

Running As Admin Windows 7 forced me

Hi,I have a small, though sometimes annoying problem.I was browsing in Firefox, and all of a sudden a window popped up (Firefox had probably crashed) which suggested to run Firefox as Administrator.I was busy with something else at the time (that is also why I don't remember the full details of how it happened, because I was only half paying attention), and because of that reason I clicked "Yes".What happens now is, of course, every time I start Firefox, the UAM prompt comes up, asking me if I want to allow Firefox to make changes to my system.Also, when I click on a hyperlink in an email now, it works, and I am sent to the place of that hyperlink, but a window pops up saying there was an error writing to the program.My question is:How can I undo running Firefox as administrator?I know I can move the slider in the Account section of the Control Panel, but then it won't give me a prompt for any program any longer, and I would like some security.So, has anyone got a solution as to how I can run Firefox in normal mode again?By the way, as the title says, I use Windows 7 Ultimate.Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I'm not a user of Windows 7, but if i were to take a guess, in order to have Firefox not run under administrator you would have to track down the Firefox executable, right-click > properties, and see if there is anything about running as administrator and changing those settings.

Hi truefusion,Thank you for your reply.The solution you suggested was not possible, when right-clicking, there is only "Run as Administrator", nothing like "Stop running as Administrator" or anything similar.However, your reply got me thinking, and when I went into Properties, the possibility was there under the "Compatibility" tab."Run as Administrator" was checked, but greyed out, but underneath was a button saying "Change settings for all users", and hey Presto, when I clicked it, the option came up not greyed out.So, thanks for putting my brain into gear.

i use frefox all the time but with windows xp. so i don't know anything about windows 7 but after a quick search on the net, seems it is normal to firefox to run as administrator.therefor i think you got another error that causing all these mess, see this link https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-wont-start-find-solutions?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Firefox+will+not+startso i suggest you to reinstall firefox again. once i remember that i received the same error suddenly that my firefox is crashed and need to...ect. so i just reinstall it and everything return running perfectly again. good luck.

Thank you, web_designer.Although the crash was a one-off (touch wood), the link you sent me is still very handy to remember, because some days Firefox seems to run more stable than others.