xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Anyone Published From Lulu?

Has anyone of you tried publishing with Lulu.com before? I'm looking forward to publishing an ebook on that site and was wondering if there are any downsides to using the site. So, any suggestions from previous users?

Wow it's been a month and this thread has gone completely unnoticed by everyone. Oh well, I'm giving this thread a little bump because I'm nearly finished writing my first book and will be proceeding towards Lulu in a few days. So if someone could share a few words about that site and its reputation that would be great.

I'm amazed no one's replied to this, but I guess most people are too busy being egomaniacal web admins to read books. :PYou don't have to give too much away, but if you could give us a hint as to what you're writing? Remember, some genres are already saturated with new writers- while others are fairly fresh. I'm afraid I'm very skeptical about community-created content. I'd rather read something by a published author with a thumbs up from Time magazine than "Adventures in Ozeurathorioan", a self-published book by a World Of Warcraft player. On a site like Lulu, I'm presuming non-fiction will fair better than fiction, as a book with a niche on a specific subject (e.g. How to wire hotrods) will already have a fanbase who're likely to search for it. But Detective thrillers will need some sort of seal of approval before people will even contemplate purchasing them. I think Lulu is a little overhyped. It's a great website and all, but great authors come in small supply, and the amount of rubbish that must get circulated on the site will already put you at a disadvantage: however great you probably are at writing.With that said, the right advertising and a good word here and there could probably shift a few units. Good luck!