xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Google Owns More Than 3K Domains!

You probably knew this a long time ago, and even I knew that google has a lot of domains, but I never imagined that the number would be over three thousand! There may be some duplicates in there but still, the total number is staggering. Why are they so scared that they'll lose their brand?! I think they're not scared of losing their brand but scared of losing ad-money :) They may be able to afford to renew 3000 domains every year, but instead of wasting money like this can't they do something more useful? This fact may be good for a laugh but if you think about it, it's really too sad.

GOD, i never thought they have that's much of domains. that means their profits from ads are at least double than the domains fee every year, or else why do they buy too many domains. however, GOOGLE will always still be my favorite search engine.

People don't just brand them King of the Web for nothing pal, these guys have it all figured out!I remember once when I typed two different urls that had something to do with Google but still landed on the same site! That was remarkable and I think its nothing bad, it shows proactive these guys are and how serious they take their business. You might say they're scared if losing ad revenue, but so what, it's their main line of business...I would be disappointed if they let other companies and businesses space to challenge them. That's how business is man...if Google was mine, I'd own something close to 5k! lolCheers.

Well they also include companies they bought because you can only spell google in so many ways and besides who would buy a domain that has like 1000 o's in it just to keep their name.

Yes Google is indeed very good at what they do, and maybe it isn't wrong to do such a thing as buying 3000 domains. And yes, a large part of the list consists of companies that Google bought. Some domains are really funny alterations of google (like googlee.com) while some are totally unrelated (17564.org or something like that; I don't remember the exact numbers! :) ) I think they bought a large number of these domains only recently and before 2000; coz the domain prices have come down only recently, and even a company like google would think twice before buying domains at the older rates ($100 per domain if I remember right?)

Ya of course they will be afraid that they might loose their brand. And this is not a waste of money for them. Just imagine a scenario where they do not renew a domain name google.*** and if some one else takes that domain then Google has to pay him or her a huge ransom and get that domain name back. So just to avoid that Google is taking some precautionary measures where in they need not go and beg some one to give the domain to Google.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google made deals with Microsoft, and integrated Bing and Yahoo etc into their system. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Google made deals with Microsoft, and integrated Bing and Yahoo etc into their system. ../../public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Lol yeah there might be a chance for that, especially when MS and Yahoo are desperately trying to eat into Google's market share. They might eventually realize that they can't get any decent share, and the sensible thing to do would be to shake hands with google and integrate their search engines together, so that they can eat the profits together :) Hmm that seems to the thing which is most likely to happen in the coming days. No surprises there!