xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
highgrassfarm

Off Synch When I move my videos to computer the synch is off

I just bought this Sony Handycam. Not sure of the model right now. When I record video, then hook to my computer there are several files besides the .mpg files. I am trying to upload videos to the web, but it's not working well. First of all, the synch of audio to video is off. When I load the Sony software on a newer computer that I have and try to play the files using Windows Media Player it says that I don't have the right codec. Why doesn't Sony include the codec you need to use Windows Media Player? Or if not that they should bundle a media player that can play the files that you record with their camera.I'm at a loss on what to do next. I'm about to trash the whole camera and try a different manufacturer. Can anyone tell me how I can shoot a video and upload it to Youtube or my website or even just play it on my newer computer?Thanks

Sony doesn't (as far as I know) have any preexisting contracts with Microsoft, so it shouldn't be a surprise that what you record doesn't play right on Windows Media Player.If you're looking for a universal media player, try VLC media player- hasn't failed me yet.As for the off-sync of video and sound, it's either a problem with the hardware or the incompatibility with the media player. If VLC plays it off sync, then I'd take it back for a refund because then it would most likely be a hardware issue.

There are a couple things you can try. You could try searching Google to see if others have had this problem with Sony Handycams. You might get a solution that's specific to your camera, the model number might be on it somewhere.You could try different media players. Sometimes if I watch a video, downloaded or recorded off the T.V. one media player will play it perfectly, but the audio will be out of sync. Try VLC Media player and Media Player Classic. With this dynamic duo, I can play almost anything on Windows. Another thing you can try is this. If your search on Google failed to find any information on what you need to do, you can download the oddly named free program called Gspot on the internet. It's a simple program that when installed lets you right click on your video file, and get more information on what kind of codec it uses. It might say something like "Codec: Superduper Sony Codec". You could then search on google for a place to install that codec, or tell us what it says here for more help. It is surprising that the camera didn't come with software to make sure everything works out of the box, did you install everything? Maybe you can download something on the Sony site. If all else fails, you could record a short clip and upload it here and maybe someone can figure out what you need to view it.