xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

how to change my operating system on a notebook? Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.

how to change my operating system on a notebook?Installing Windows Xp On A Sata Enabled Desktop/notebook Computer.

I want to change my operating system from LINUX to WINDOWS, but so far I have not found a trustful link, Can anyone recommend something?

-question by Gerson

Dear me, you really have to look at this microsoft 'wall of text' article on changing Linux to Windows XP on your notebook.

Click here.

Yes, that is the most trustable source that you can get. From Microsoft themselves.

How to install Windows XP on a sata hard disk.

The installation and the procedure to install Windows XP on a sata hard disk depend of the Service Pack that is included on the cd. If Service Pack 3 is burnt on the cd the drivers of the sata hard disk are probably available in the cd. If Service Pack 3 is not included in the cd and if the sata drivers of the hard disk are not included in the cd the drivers need to be glued into a cd with the installation program of Windows XP. There are a lot of websites that describe the steps about the way to glue sata drivers and the installation program into one cd.

In case 1 the installation is a matter of putting the cd into the cd player and to start the computer. When in the boot procedure the cd player is put like the first device to boot from the computer will boot from the cd. When the Linux partitions of the hard drive are shown on the screen the partitions can be removed using the installation program.

In case 2 the first step is to burn the installation program Windows XP and the sata drivers together on one cd. There are programs to do this. After the burning of the cd the procedure of case 1 can be followed.

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

To remove Linux from your computer and install Windows XP, follow these steps: 1. Remove the native, swap, and boot partitions used by Linux: a. Start your computer with the Linux Setup floppy disk, type fdisk at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. NOTE: For help with using the Fdisk tool, type m at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. b. Type p at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to display partition information. The first item listed is hard disk 1, partition 1 information, and the second item listed is hard disk 1, partition 2 information. c. Type d at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. You are then prompted for the partition number that you want to delete. Type 1, and then press ENTER to delete partition number 1. Repeat this step until all the partitions have been deleted.d. Type w, and then press ENTER to write this information to the partition table. Some error messages may be generated (because information is written to the partition table), but they should not be significant at this point because the next step is to restart the computer and then install the new operating system.e. Type q at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Fdisk tool.f. Insert either a bootable floppy disk or the bootable Windows XP CD-ROM, and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer.2. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows XP.The installation process assists you in creating the appropriate partitions on your computer.Thanks a lot,Vicky