xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rejected

My 1972 Vw Bus Restoration the celadon spaceship

Posted Image

This was my bus the day after I bought it in November. She cost around $700. I washed her just before this picture, and she was almost black and covered in pine needles.

the bus had been sitting for about three or four years before I picked it up, and has only been owned by 2 people: mike and his dad.

what i've done to the bus so far:cleaned the carburetor and fuel tank, changed the fuel filter and oil; ripped out the nasty carpet and rotted sub-floor; plexi-glassed over the rusted front panel; took out the wood panels(not bad too of shape but could be better) except for the ceiling; sanded, rust treated, undented, bondo'd a couple spots and primered.

About three days ago I put in a brand new windshield (previous one was cracked and there was rust all around it). Today I painted the rims and tomorrow I'm going to have brand new tires put on her. In a week or so I will be putting a new paint job on her (blue and white two-tone, or maybe paint it up hippy style).

And soon I will be putting on a 4" lift so I can keep up with my two friends with Jeeps when they go offroading.

I say that is a beautiful bus there. I saw one not too long ago at a carpark. The owner did a great restoration work, a new coat of paint (lime green), and for decoration work.

That is going to be a really neat restoration job! Sounds like you are well on your way! Love to see more pictures as you get your work done on it. Are you going to do some wild and crazy paint job on it too? Remember all the old "hippy" wagons back in the 60's and 70's? Some of them were really awsome. Funny, every time I see an old VW buss, the old line from Alices Restuarant pops into my head, how they decided to do Alice a favor by taking out the trash and they loaded up their shovels and rakes and impliment of destruction into the VW micro buss.......wonder if I'm the only one here that every heard that funny story/long. Think Arlo Guthrie sang it. By the way, I wonder what kind of gas milage those vans get? The Volkswagon Beetles got really good milage.