xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zagubadu?

Vps With Putty? How to connect

Last night I was pretty tired and I finally got onto my VPS thing with Putty but it was just a terminal so I was all confused. So I just typed in logout and it closed. I saw that you could connect to it using Remote Desktop. I heard from someone else it was like an online OS of some sort. So thats exactly what I was assuming it was just and OS online that you can run programs on which is what I need. Because I need to run a Vent. Anyways now I can't even get on through Putty which I did once before. I've never been able to get on using Remote Desktop. When I heard all this talk about it being an OS I was confused when I saw the old fasion terminal which is too confusing for me to do. Is this how it should be? And also why can't I get on anymore? I have been able to get on my admin thing VHCS but you can't do anything from there. Also from that page I can see that my Telnet is down? What does all this mean?

Ok I have gotten in turns out the account name was totally different and they wanted me to play try and guess that account name for half an hour. Well I'm in and its a friggen command prompt I didn't think this was what they were talking about when they said OS :) I'm sad now because I can't work this thing at all. We would have better chances with a toddler and a crane. I think I heard some where that there is a way to get into the GUI because I really want to see some colors and a cursor maybe. Is this the only thing I will have access too? This isn't my idea of an OS. Its Ubuntu and I have Ubuntu on my laptop so how do I get into the GUI? I tried that star x or starx everyone was talking about that does nothing.

For starter, its best to have VPS with CPanel. If you have just sign-ed up, its better you ask for a refund. Buy a VPS with CPanel if you really wanna understand and enjoy it OR buy a reseller plan. It has most of the features of a VPS with CPanel.

VPS 1 : Budget Package - $20 / mo. - Setup FREE! -
11 GB SPACE (including Operating System, CPanel etc. files)
300 GB BANDWIDTH

192 MB Guaranteed RAM
256 MB Burstable RAM
1 IP Addresses allocation

VPS-1 is good for projects which do not require a FULL BLOWN control panel. Because of small Memory limit, it works great when configured with Light Weight Control Panel. VPS-1 owners may want to customize its MySQL, Apache etc. modules and want to use it for personal website.

Recommended for :-

- To run Background Scripts / Custom Server Scripts / Game Scripts.
- Small Website which need Custom Modules or Open Ports
- Custom Apache/MySQL setup for building dynamic Websites.

* Private Nameservers
* 24/7Round the Clock Support
* Forum Support.
* VPS security hardening

That says Cpanel. I believe that I am installing the GUI Gnome right now. I hope it works will reply on my results.

During the installation for a few things I have only seen it happen a couple of times it says Permission denied. I sure hope this works :) It asked me what resolution it wanted me to run it in and then continue to install I am having high hopes just because of that.
Edited by Zagubadu? (see edit history)

:angel: I can't do this I'm where over my head here. It seemed to install okay but when I try to start the GUI with startx it says some fatal error stuff and just doesn't work. I'd be happy if someone more knowledgeable could do this for me. -.- Seriously because I can't do it.

Well gnome seemed to install but each time I try to start I just get a bunch of fatal errors and stuff.

root@vps:~# startxxauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.24431

X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux vps.zvent.com 2.6.9-023stab043.2-smp #1 SMP Fri Mar 9 11:50:20 MSK 2007 i686
Build Date: 16 March 2006
Before reporting problems, check https://www.x.org/wiki/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 20 17:11:07 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
root@vps:~#

Edited by Zagubadu? (see edit history)

Wait a second is a windows VPS what I am looking for? Is a Windows VPS basically like remote desktoping to another computer running windows except its not actually a physical computer but online? If so I would like to know how to maybe cancel the VPS I have now and maybe get a refund? I mean I used myCENTS to buy but I didn't really use it T.T

Taking so long. So is a Windows VPS the same thing except with a Windows OS that I can see? Like GUI?