xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
conjugat101

Reviving A Dead Hard Drive

Hello all :) I have a 20-GB Seagate Hard Drive that's about six years old. I used it as a storage for my archived files a few years back and left it in the CPU chassis, not connected to the power supply or the IDE cable. Just recently, I thought of browsing through my old files and reconnected the cables. And guess what: I get a drive that spins, then clicks 7-11 times, then stops spinning. I've tried using another computer, or fiddling with the BIOS to no avail. I've even tried freezing the hard drive as some sites suggested, without luck.Any more ideas before I consult a data recovery company? I'm reserving it as a last resort because I don't believe there are any in the country I'm in and I'll need to send the hard drive overseas.

I had the same problem, all I had to do was run my computer from a linux CD then I was able to access the files on my harddisk.. but after I backed up the files I did have to get a new HD. the most likely reason is the part of your HD that has your OS installed has gone bad. or maybe you didn't have an OS installed? if this is the case then you will probably need to get it professionally backed up.

freezing the hard disk crazy !!!i dont think it will effect anyhow and the sites in which you have seen it is just a crap and freezing the hard disk in no way will help you making your disk ok, as you mentioned its 6 years old and i dun think its going to work. Man systems are also having some life and they are not immortal that you can use it after a decade and think it will work the same as before maybe some moisture be there in your hard disk and when you connected it to the cpu it got a short surcuit and now its gone forever.

hi since this is my first post hope it's gonna be helpfullfirst of all : Always Always make a backup (this apply for every body)well for your case before spending money on data-recovery i have a tip that helped me a lotrequirement : os linux based live cd (puppy linux is the best)take of your hard disk from your pc drop it from a 50cm on the floor or slap it firmelyreconnect the hard disk and boot from the live cdyou'll have just a few attempt to recover your dataand remeber : BACKUP YOUR DATA take care

Edited by chidori (see edit history)