xisto Community
whyme

Question For Admin... Am I allowed a free mini web host?

What I mean is, am I allowed to use my Xisto web hosting account to create a free web host on my account where other people, (who aren't members of Xisto) can sign up for a "free web hosting account", hosted through on my account? All thier information, and files, and databases are held in my own "xeek.trap17.com directory". I don't even know if this explaination makes sense to you. (I don't really get this myself:huh:) Perhaps this grahpic will explain things better:

Posted Image

Obvoiusly, I am NOT profitting from this mini free hosting on my account, but merely becasue I have spare space and databases on my account and just want to share it with other people, I have made my own script where users can sign up an account and automatically get an ftp account and sql database. And I dont think that their will be any "overhauling" of Xisto's resources, becasue it is limited to the power that my account has. (I only have 2gigs of bandwidth). Further more, this might make more people join Xisto's actual service if they tire from my crappier hosting service.

- Thanks for reading this.

whyme

you can see how my hosting servcie looks like here --> http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That's a great idea. I'm not an admin but I think it would work. I went searching through the Terms of Service a bit and didn't find anything that won't let you do that. If you had a script I think it would work. The only bad thing is that people might find a way into your real cpanel account and edit the script. I'm not sure why people would waste their time doing this since they can just join Xisto but just incase they do I recommend you checking your security settings before you set this up.

That's a great idea. I'm not an admin but I think it would work. I went searching through the Terms of Service a bit and didn't find anything that won't let you do that. If you had a script I think it would work. The only bad thing is that people might find a way into your real cpanel account and edit the script. I'm not sure why people would waste their time doing this since they can just join Xisto but just incase they do I recommend you checking your security settings before you set this up.

49779[/snapback]

definetly, the script i made does not give the people who register any access to cpanel, it is an automated scripts which logins thru PHP and makes an account, the only thing the user gets is an email which sends them thiere account info, so it's very safe, I've went thru the TOS too, but i just wanted to check with OpaQue first. And it's true that people could just post, but it's just that i think there are some people out there who don't have the time to post and maintian hosting credits, so i do it for tem, and, if tey grow tired of my crppay service, Xisto will get some more uers. :D

He is asking if he can host people. Normally hosts do not allow this, but I've heard somewhere, that you can host people using subdomains. I'm not sure though.

The accounts we give are not for RESALE. We give so that you can use for your own purpose.I really support your idea and the nice design you have made. But Consider these points :-Advantages :-1> Your site gets more popularity ( and I am happy for it ).2> It will be a free advertising for Xisto.Disadvantages :-1> If any of the user spams, your account will be closed and you lose everything and also the trust of your members.2> The BW is checked only once per day and you will never come to know that you have used up your BW.3> The resources of Xisto are being used without recieving appropriate contributions from the members.4> Making more sub-domains and putting it to use altogether puts considerable load on the servers.5> We might not be able to expand this service without getting proper response.Anyway, I will permit you to do this ( If you had done this without my knowledge) I would had terminated your account straight away. But I appreciate your honesty and you are free to run that service. However, you will have to take the complete responsibility of your account resources.NOTE : You are permitted to give only sub- Sub-domains of Xisto like,YOUR-CLIENT.you.trap17.comIf you give service using any other DNS service, we will not support it.-OpaQue

Damn funny Idea! :D First time in my life i see post like this when one of the persons who uses free service going to resell his free service to other internet serfers :D And second thing is that he going to RESELL IT FOR FREE TOO :D Nothing Personal, just this thing appears first time in my sight.... :D

Well actually I think thats a pretty good idea except for the downsides like opaque said. I know a site that lets you resell there free hosting. But there having problems with there stuff so.... But if you want why dont you offer like free phpBB hosting or something. If you want something lighter just use XMB(Great Board) or IPB or something. :D:D

The accounts we give are not for RESALE. We give so that you can use for your own purpose.

I really support your idea and the nice design you have made.

But Consider these points :-

Advantages :-

1> Your site gets more popularity ( and I am happy for it ).

2> It will be a free advertising for Xisto.

Disadvantages :-

1> If any of the user spams, your account will be closed and you lose everything and also the trust of your members.

2> The BW is checked only once per day and you will never come to know that you have used up your BW.

3> The resources of Xisto are being used without recieving appropriate contributions from the members.

4> Making more sub-domains and putting it to use altogether puts considerable load on the servers.

5> We might not be able to expand this service without getting proper response.

Anyway, I will permit you to do this ( If you had done this without my knowledge) I would had terminated your account straight away. But I appreciate your honesty and you are free to run that service. However, you will have to take the complete responsibility of your account resources.

NOTE : You are permitted to give only sub- Sub-domains of Xisto like,

YOUR-CLIENT.you.trap17.com

If you give service using any other DNS service, we will not support it.

-OpaQue

49859[/snapback]

Hmmm.. I see now. I think I should be able to control most of the disadvantages:

1> If any of the user spams, your account will be closed and you lose everything and also the trust of your members.

I will make very close monitoring's of each users account, and i don't even expect to get more than 10 users (I've only got 100 megs so far).

2> The BW is checked only once per day and you will never come to know that you have used up your BW.

I'm currently testing a script that will actaully control the amount of bandwidth that a "folder" uses, so, if i directed each user to folder, controlling the bandwidth shouldn't be anyproblems.

3> The resources of Xisto are being used without recieving appropriate contributions from the members.

I must say that is true, but, I think I'll implement a request for all users to at the very least give a link back to Xisto on thier site, as well, I'll most more frequently. :D

4> Making more sub-domains and putting it to use altogether puts considerable load on the servers.

As said above, i don't think that I will be able to host more than 10 users altogether, so i don't think it will become as much of an overhual on Xisto's resources, if you like, you can give me a limit on the amount of subdomains you want me to give out.

5> We might not be able to expand this service without getting proper response.

Again, I'll implement a request for all users to have at the very least a link back to Xisto.

And of course, I'm putting a bit of a risk on my account, but, heck, I'll make sure I mage what's on the content of the website as well as how it's being used on a timely basis, so Xisto's resources won't be misused.

Thanks a lot for letting me do this (somewhat silly) thing.

- I'll post here again when my hosting service is fully up and running, finishing the script... :D

- whyme :D