xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
byronarnold

The Old Time Hymns Sometimes Aged Music Can Touch the Soul

I was listening to "Amazing Grace" earlier on Youtube and now I am listening to "Just a Closer Walk". I had forgotten that even the old hymns can touch the soul so deeply.Don't get me wrong, I love contemporary worship music. "I can Only Imagine" by MercyMe speaks to my soul just as much. But in my zealousness to find copntemporary music to worship with, I forgot that the old hymns could do just a good job.I am definately going to have to mix it up and include music of both in my personal worship! :)

In a way aged music is the truest because it is most simple.It doesn't have to rely on odd time signatures and key shifts andtechnology to get the message across.Simplicity is the thing that people will remember the most in the long run.Although most Bach and Beethoven is hardly simple.

In a way aged music is the truest because it is most simple.It doesn't have to rely on odd time signatures and key shifts and
technology to get the message across.
Simplicity is the thing that people will remember the most in the long run.

Although most Bach and Beethoven is hardly simple.

Simplicity is indeed a thing that is often taken for granted. Look at the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for example. The modern church heaps so much under the "Gospel", but the Gospel is really quite simple: Jesus came to take away the sins of the world through his blood shed. There were people saved in the Book of Acts, long before the New Testament was written, and a long LONG time before the modern Chrurches complex theology of what the "Gospel" is.

Give me that "Old Time Religion", the Religion that Peter and James taught long ago. :)