xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BoSZ

Lokitorrent Shut Down

when going to lokitorrent.com you will encounter this

http://www.lokitorrent.com/

http://www.lokitorrent.com/

There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is not one of them.

This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop.

The BitTorrent hub LokiTorrent has been shut down by a lawsuit from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), with the eight-hour outage earlier today turning out to be the prelude to a closure. The site came back online briefly with BitTorrent-related content, but within hours that had been replaced by a notice from the MPAA.

"There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is not one of them," reads the new front page of lokitorrent.com. "This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures." An MPAA press release said LokiTorrent operator Edward Webber agreed to pay "a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions," and was under court order to provide the MPAA with logs and server data.

LokiTorrent had been among the most visible portals supporting BitTorrent, the popular distributed file-serving technology developed by Bram Cohen. Two other torrent hubs, SuprNova.org and TorrentBits.org shut down in December, shortly after the MPAA began filing lawsuits against sites supporting BitTorrent. LokiTorrent announced that it would fight the MPAA lawsuit, and raised more than $25,000 in user donations prior to seeking sale offers on the domain auction site Sedo. Statistics at Sedo show the site had been averaging 185,000 visitors per day over the last three weeks.

Yeah... that sux... but what else can we do in spite of forgetting about bittorrent and start using exeem?... suprnova.org is gone, torrentbits too... I just can't use bittorrent without using suprnova... for me bittorrent meant suprnova... Ill start using exeem and I hope it becomes good.

Yeah... that sux... but what else can we do in spite of forgetting about bittorrent and start using exeem?... suprnova.org is gone, torrentbits too... I just can't use bittorrent without using suprnova... for me bittorrent meant suprnova... Ill start using exeem and I hope it becomes good.

50519[/snapback]

This is what I heard about Lokitorrent...

Lokitorrent was taking donations from its users and managed to get about $30,000+. They took the donations for their "legal" fees to fight the MPAA. What they did in reality was pay their FINES with the donated money. They had no intention of fighting the legal battle. They just wanted the users to pay for the fines the court slapped them with (probably settlement). The users got screwed out of their donation money.

Basically, in my opinion: Theres no use complaining. It is/was an illegal service, you know its an illegal service, and rules are rules. Appeal against the laws, not the closure of the service. In fact, appeal against copy restriction rules and i might just join you... :D

This is what I heard about Lokitorrent...

The users got screwed out of their donation money.

50523[/snapback]

when someone donates to something, there is absolultely no garuntee what is going to happen with the money. One halloween my friend (he is a *bottom*) took around a unicef box and got like $30+ in donations.. and kept it, why? because people were foolish enough to trust him. point is there is always the risk and no gaurentee. they were 'screwed out of thier money' as soon as they handed it over

when someone donates to something, there is absolultely no garuntee what is going to happen with the money. One halloween my friend (he is a *bottom*) took around a unicef box and got like $30+ in donations.. and kept it, why? because people were foolish enough to trust him. point is there is always the risk and no gaurentee. they were 'screwed out of thier money' as soon as they handed it over

50567[/snapback]

Thats pretty much the reason why i never donate anything because you never know when something is a scam.

50567[/snapback]

I totally agree. Your friend is an *BLEEP*. For $30 bux he basically sold any respect anyone might have had for him. He did an awful thing for almost no money. If you are gonna commit fraud, you should atleast make it worth while. Not for a crappy $30. OMG... being an *BLEEP* is one thing... but being a STUPID *BLEEP*... that just makes me pity him even more.

And like the previous poster... people like him are the reason why I NEVER donate. I'll never donate to anything (especially online). I have donated to my school, large organizations like red cross (tsunami), etc. but always through their contact number (NEVER DOOR TO DOOR).

Well i know in the state of Georgia you have to have a permit to take collections from people, and if asked to see the permit the person has to comply no questions asked. thats pertty sick that your friend screwd people like that, He should have been locked up for that and still should be.

Suprnova and loki are a thing of the past, normally i thought i was just downloading from anyone until i looked at the tracker, loki certainly was a great one. I hate exeem, it's a stupid idea and it looks as if the idea hasn't lasted long. I'm also for filesharing but if something is really good, like a good artist, then you should pay them.

Hi: I dont have many problems because for download torrents i dont use webpages, i just write in google a couple of words and filetype:torrent and i always found the file that i search, for example: a millon dollar baby filetype:torrent.I hope to have been of aid.regardsTiago

Hi: I dont have many problems because for download torrents i dont use webpages, i just write in google a couple of words and filetype:torrent and i always found the file that i search, for example: a millon dollar baby filetype:torrent.I hope to have been of aid.regardsTiago

Im so happy i never used lokitorrent, i never really trusted that site anyway.The bad news here really is, any torrent sites that wanted to "fight the law" so to speak with donation money are kinda screwed now.. because everyone will be going "Are they just going to keep the money/give it to the MPAA and give up?"Kinda sad for all the non-jerk site operators out there :D