xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Help With Editing Grub GRUB version 1.97 beta 4

Hi, I recently updated my Ubuntu kernel to latest (i don't remember exactly which but its 2.6.x) Now My GRUB is quite messed up since it displays 3 Ubuntus with their debug modes plus a memtest and Win XP x64 in the list. Total of about 8-9 options. Can I remove the previous versions of Ubuntu's from the list manually ? If so How ? I tried googling and somewhere I read about editing menu.lst file in the /boot/grub folder .. I COULDN'T see any menu.lst file there I think its becoz of the GRUB 2 or something ..Someone please help me with thisPlus ,Now I also want to make my system boot to Windows as default instead of Ubuntu.I even tried installing KGRUBEditor but I don't know where its installed. I couldn't locate it in my Ubuntu (KDE)I have both KDE and GNOME so any method would do .. as long as its working.P.S. I didn't edit the grub.conf file since there was a warning in the header of the file.

Hi, you can do all of this by editing grub.conf.

First, backup your current grub.conf in case anything goes wrong.
Then open it with a text editor.

By default, grub.conf should look like this:

default=0timeout=10splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
Then, there will be several sections similar to this (one for each menu option):
title Ubuntu Linuxroot (hd0,0)kernel /boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14initrd /boot/ubuntu/initrd-2.6.31-14.img
plus one for memtest, WinXP, etc.

Delete all of the sections with the title Ubuntu Linux except for the current one and its debug/recovery modes.

To make Windows XP the default, change the line
default=0
to the number of the WinXP section. Just remember that numbering starts with 0, not 1.
For example, if the Windows XP option is now the fifth one on the list, you would use
default=4
and it would boot up by default.

Sorry if I forgot anything, and hope I helped!
Edited by fstab (see edit history)

@fstabGRUB 2 uses a slightly different syntax than it used to and it is no longer located at /boot/grub/grub.conf. The menu file is now at /boot/grub/grub.cfg.@bluedragonI unfortunately do not have enough knowledge in GRUB 2 to provide you with steps on how to manually remove these older versions, but if i were to take a guess, it would require deleting a certain file from /etc/grub.d and running grub-mkconfig afterwards.

I haven't deleted the unused Ubuntus but I've made the default to WinXP .. Thankfully GRUB 2 didn't change much.I was expecting a screw up following the change in grub.cfg. Thankfully it didn't.GRUB 2 created the list with a strange coding. took me 2-3 tries to make XP the default one.I hope some GRUB 2 expert would guide me through cleaning the list.