xisto Community
knoppixusr

Greetings My Fellow Forum-men, Greetings my fellow forum-men,

Greetings my fellow forum-men,

After searching in Google for a good free web host and coming to the conclusion that there can be nothing for free. I decided to register here at Xisto forum because I can't afford to pay for hosting now with money but I can pay with my time in participating in the forum.

Initially I had an account with 000webhost as their hosting service looked quite reasonable at first but not long after setting up my website with them I discovered allot of SQL server errors, also the performance of the hosting was very slow. My plan is to build my website within the Modx content management system. Hopefully it will work well here.

A bit more about myself , As you can see from my user name I enjoy using Linux. I like to compare non-open source Operating systems (windows) versus open source (Linux) to the equivalent as driving an automatic car versus driving a manual car. You just have more fun and control with the manual.

uname -aLinux Microknoppix 2.6.31.6 #4 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:11:11 CET 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
I recently installed knoppix 6.2 ADRIANE. Which is intended for people with visual impairment, I don't have any eyesight problems and only installed it cause I didn't know that it actually stands for Audio Desktop Reference Implementation and Networking Environment. But it rocks :P , the 3d effects are so totally awesome which allows me to move my desktop like a 3d cube and have windows wobble when I move them and shatter into blocks or burn with fire when I close them. It also comes with sun virtual box and OOO3. I would judge myself as a intermediate Linux user otherwise about 4 years of using Linux.

At daytime I work as a systems administrator for a community radio station which offers me allot of diverse technical problems to chew on. Which ranges from troubleshooting audio broadcasting equipment in sound studios to desktop support within the radio station.

I am , also recently married (6 months), no children , Yet! I'm a little afraid of having kids because I was a real terror when I was younger :P . I enjoy rock-climbing/hiking and live less than a mile from the ocean and also a mountain. I'm also a big fan of Futurerama.

Nice, thanks for telling us about you :PWelcome to Xisto. I feel that Xisto is better than 000webhost, the reason why I came here was because of the max ftp load quota, and the downtime of their script auto-installers. Rest assured, Xisto is waaay better in so many ways. You get decent hosting, and the possibility of getting your own domain in forum participation :P

I was going to try 000webhost a while ago, i guess i saved myself time by going straight to Xisto. Anyways welcome!, knoppix? Ive heard alot about it but that is one linux disto that i havn't tried yet. Right know im using freeBSD, puppy, and ubuntu on virtual box and VMware workstation for various reasons.I think you'll find Xisto to fit quite nicely with your needs. Good day to you.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Thanks, If i were to compare knoppix vs puppy regarding speed i would say they would be neck to neck. Which seems quite lucrative if you want to get the most out of your older hardware. ;-)
I remember using Vmware a long time ago so you got me wondering What does VMware have to offer that sun virtual box doesn't?

I was going to try 000webhost a while ago, i guess i saved myself time by going straight to Xisto. Anyways welcome!, knoppix? Ive heard alot about it but that is one linux disto that i havn't tried yet. Right know im using freeBSD, puppy, and ubuntu on virtual box and VMware workstation for various reasons.
I think you'll find Xisto to fit quite nicely with your needs. Good day to you.

Thank you for the warm welcome,

I signed up at both the forum and afterwards at Xisto. Is there anything else i need to do before i can earn my cents like you do ?

Good day to you !

Nice, thanks for telling us about you :P
Welcome to Xisto. I feel that Xisto is better than 000webhost, the reason why I came here was because of the max ftp load quota, and the downtime of their script auto-installers. Rest assured, Xisto is waaay better in so many ways. You get decent hosting, and the possibility of getting your own domain in forum participation :P

Well I first tried 110mb.com, for ftp hosting of some files, but unfortunately storage is too little (just 110 MB as evident although they claim to offer 100 GB bandwidth).Unfortunately I coudn't even sign up for the past two days because of some maintainace work going around.Then 000webhost.com, but don't know when I will be able to get my account there,but Xisto.com is looking quite cool for novices like me !