xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Tesco To Offer Iphone Contracts

Tesco To Offer Iphone Contracts

Posted Image

The iPhone will be available at Tesco Mobile from 14 December, the company has announced.

Its lowest monthly tariff will be ?20 a month for the duration of a 12-month contract - but customers will have to pay ?222 for a basic 3G 8GB handset.

This works out over the course of the contract to an actual monthly fee of ?38.50.

Both O2's and Orange's lowest tariff - ?34.26 - is on a 24-month contract and comes with a free iPhone.

The tariff becomes only slightly more expensive to take an 18-month contract and pay about ?97 for the handset.

These monthly cost figures represent the tariff plus the cost of the handset split into monthly payments.

Vodafone will also begin to carry the handset in 2010 but has not yet announced pricing details.

Apples and Orange

Although the Tesco averaged cost is the highest among the three, it says the advantage is in offering the shortest contract - and thus the ability to upgrade the handset sooner.

The entry-level bundle deal includes ?60 credit each month, which works out to either 300 anytime minutes, 600 texts, or 150 minutes plus 300 texts.

As with the O2 and Orange offerings, the contract includes unlimited web and wi-fi access.

On a 24-month contract at ?60 monthly, Tesco Mobile customers will get unlimited calls and texts and a more recent model - the iPhone 3GS 16GB - for free.

The iPhone will also be available to pay-as-you-go customers, for which the 3G model will cost ?342.

I think Tesco will become the second top sellers for this the price of ?222 for an iPhone is incredible when the retailer that made it is doing for nearly ?100 more! It just shows you how much of a rip off Apple can be at times. If I ever break my iPhone and need a new one I will get my next one from apple to save that money. 14th is 2 days away I think Tesco have done a good job in getting it about before Christmas so people can buy it as a gift. Though I am not sure how they are going to make a profit out of this item O.o it surely must come to a loss at some stage. Tesco do a lot of Sales in January to show people they have been ripped off in the Christmas holidays :P, I wonder what the iPhone price will be on it then.

Please post your views on the article above.

Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)